Pull chain light to drop ceiling light

Old 10-14-06, 06:00 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pull chain light to drop ceiling light

Hello,
I am putting in a drop ceiling and have to replace the pull-switch light that is currently in place. If it was a one-for-one replacement I would not have a problem. The present wiring is a mess. The pull light has three main wires(metal conduit) coming into the 3" box. These wires are from other lights/outlets in our basement in other rooms. The black are wired together, and the white are wired together. The pull fixture black and white are also wired to the respective black and white. Just pull the chain, light goes on. (I hope I have described this OK)

How can I re-wire this to single-pole switch? I plan on putting an external (wiremold) switch in this small room. I have done electrical work with success (not burning the house down), but this one is beyond me.
Thanks again.
Leo

Old 10-14-06, 06:11 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are simply adding a switch, add it as you would add any switch loop.

Connect the white for the switch loop to the black wires. This is not to incloude the wire for the light. Re-identify this white wire as hot with a a dark marker.

Connect the black wire for the switch loop to the black wire or hot input of the light.

Connect the white wires in the box to the white wire of neutral terminal of the light.

At the switch connect the black and white (marked as hot with a dark marker) wires to the switch terminals.

Connect all grounds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: