Circuit for old arc welder in new subpanel?

Old 10-14-06, 02:18 PM
Circuit for old arc welder in new subpanel?

I have an older arc welder that connects to a type 10-50R receptacle ( 250 Volt, 50A ). This type of receptacle takes two hot wires and a neutral - no ground connection. My electrical reference book says this is not for use in new installations. I want to use the arc welder in my garage which has its own 100A subpanel with an isolated ground and neutral per code. What are my options for a new circuit for the arc welder?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 02:30 PM
Any circuit you wire today needs a ground. Even if the device plugged in does not require a ground, the circuit still must be run with one.

As an example, most 120 volt devices (except mainly appliances and computers) do not need a ground, but any new circuit you run for them must have a ground.

Run a four wire circuit (two hots, a neutral and a ground) for this welder.

If the welder really and truly needs a neutral and not a ground then use the neutral. However, if the welder was actually using the neutral as a ground and does not put current on it, then use the ground. This means you need to determine (absolutely) what the welder needs.

Old 10-15-06, 11:24 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if this welder needs a neutral. It was likely wired to a new plug by someone who wanted to use it in a dryer receptacle.

Replace with a NEMA 6-50P plug and wire a new NEMA 6-50R receptacle from the panel: two hots and a ground should be all you need.

Tell me the welder's model number, and I can verify this for you and we can discuss amperage and wire requirements.

Old 10-16-06, 12:37 PM
The welder is a Tri star 230 AC/DC welder manufactured by Century Mfg Co Model 110-114

thanks

Jeff

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-16-06 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post
Old 10-16-06, 08:58 PM
You don't need a neutral.