Satellite Radio Antenna Pull

Old 10-14-06, 07:31 PM
Satellite Radio Antenna Pull

Trying to pull a antenna cable for Sirius satellite radio (awesome, by the way) to the front living room of a 2-story townhouse on a slab.

Antenna must be located at back of house so as to see the north/northwest sky.

Managed to pull the cable up the conduit pipe where the CATV & telco lines go up to the 2nd floor, and from there an easy pull into the attic.

The plan (half-baked) was to take the antenna cable down from the attic to the front bedroom on the second floor following the phone and CATV cables that go into a box in that room. Am pretty sure the box in that 2nd floor room is directly over another CATV box on the same wall on the first floor in the living room where the home stereo is located and where I hoped to pull the radio cable through the CATV box.

Doh! I hoped that I would be able to push/pull the radio cable all the way down, but discovered that there is not a path through the floor. The existing box on the first floor which has CATV cable apparently is coming from elsewhere, not, as I assumed, all the way down from the attic...

Question: How would you get that radio cable down to the first floor CATV box (the optimum solution)? This is not new construction, so my options are limited. I can get the receptacle box out of the drywall up on that 2nd floor bedroom - that is how I discovered there was not way through the floor. I could reach in there and poked around and felt nothing but solid 2x4. There are power receptacle boxes on the same wall that again, appear to be directly above/below each other, but don't guess I want to be going down there with a sat antenna cable?

About this close <holding thumb/index finger close together> to throwing in the towel and calling 911, but would appreciate any tips or a kick in the right direction...

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-06, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm a little confused. I have Sirius as well but just have the normal antenna it comes with right next to the stereo, and thats in the basement. Why are you have to have it on the roof? Do you actually have a dish?

Old 10-14-06, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
How good are you at Sheetrock repair? There are drill bits that drill around corners that you could use to drill through the removed j-box but they are expensive. I'd probably cut an opening just large enough to accommodate an electric drill and use a standard spade bit. A right angle drill would require a smaller hole. Right angle adapter can be bought for under $25 to convert a standard drill.

Do you have closets near where you want the cable? What about air return vent? (Would need special cable code might prevent it.) Have you considered just running outside?

Old 10-14-06, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
I'm a little confused. I have Sirius as well but just have the normal antenna it comes with right next to the stereo, and thats in the basement. Why are you have to have it on the roof? Do you actually have a dish?
signal strength. in my area (south carolina) the antenna must have a good clear path to the north/northwest sky.

it's not on the roof - back of the house. but the layout of the townhouse is such that the best path from the back of the house to the front, where my stereo is located and where i am connected the home kit, is up that conduit that goes to the second floor....

Old 10-14-06, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047
How good are you at Sheetrock repair? There are drill bits that drill around corners that you could use to drill through the removed j-box but they are expensive. I'd probably cut an opening just large enough to accommodate an electric drill and use a standard spade bit. A right angle drill would require a smaller hole. Right angle adapter can be bought for under $25 to convert a standard drill.

Do you have closets near where you want the cable? What about air return vent? (Would need special cable code might prevent it.) Have you considered just running outside?
thanks. good ideas.

thought about cutting the drywall to get in there with a drill, and probably could do a passable patch job on my damage... and it's in an otherwise out of sight place....

there is a stairwell, and a fireplace that seemed to have potential, but i'd probably need to get more experienced help before i start drilling fish tape holes somewhat blindly...

running outside is doable. won't be the prettiest or happiest solution, but will make that plan c or d...

cheers.