Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

wireless doorbells -- are different frequencies available?

wireless doorbells -- are different frequencies available?

Old 10-15-06, 05:18 PM
Question wireless doorbells -- are different frequencies available?

I installed a wireless doorbell a few months ago and some time later began hearing it chime when nobody was ringing it. I realized that one of my neighbors probably also has one, and my inside unit is picking up his signal.

I'm wondering how I can find out if other models use the same frequency as ours. I could use trial and error and just return the products that produce the problem, but I'd prefer to save myself a few trips to the store. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you still have the instructions, they will tell you how to change the code. If not, first look in the back of the receiver. There is probably a cover ,which when opened, will reveal a tiny four position switch. Change the position of the switches. Then pop the push button open and set the switch inside of it to match the changes on the receiver. Test it and if it dings your chime and not your neighbor's, close up the receiver and reposition the push button and all should be good.

Old 10-16-06, 08:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What if it "DONGS"?

Good advice: Typicaly there are "dip switch" settings that you can change. Directions are helpfull.

Old 10-16-06, 09:21 PM
Some have sets of jumper blocks you set or open in both the transmitter and receiver, to set the address code.

The actual transmission frequency cannot be user adjusted, due to FCC rules on that class of device.

Now, other manufacturers could use a different frequency, or a different code form, which won't interfere with anothers.

Old 12-16-06, 04:39 PM
Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks, all, for your help. Putting jumpers onto a different set of terminals inside both the pushbutton and the larger unit worked like a charm.