New Basement Bedroom Circuit

Old 10-16-06, 10:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Basement Bedroom Circuit

Hey guys - great information on this site so first off - thanks for any and all input.

I have a new bedroom in my basement that is being constructed. It has only framing done on it right now (so no drywall) and I am currently doing the electrical.

It has 4 outlets. It also has a light switch and a single light.

It has a walk-in closet with a light and light switch as well.

Does it make sense to have the wire feed from the panel hit all of the outlets first and then connect to the light switches?

Here's what I thought I would do and please correct me if this is not cricket.

Run panel wire to first outlet. Then run to remaining outlets. On the last outlet run to first light switch. Wirenut the wires there before it hits the light switch and run to other light switch. From each respective light switch - simple runs to the lights.

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Ryan

Old 10-16-06, 10:45 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You might want two circuits so if one goes out you still have electric for lights. Is there a nearby lightly used circuit you could tap for the overhead light? Maybe put just the closet light on the circuit with the receptacles.

Old 10-16-06, 10:45 AM
R
The best way to run the wires depends on the layout of the room. What you are proposing sounds fine and will work. Is it the best way? maybe, maybe not.

If this is the US, remember that a bedroom needs two forms of egress. Do you have a door leading outside in this room, or a large enough window in this room? Also in the US a bedroom circuit must be AFCI protected, and you probably need hardwired smoke detectors.

How large is this bedroom? I'm not sure that four RECEPTACLES is enough, code wise (again, if you are in the US). I'm certain that four receptacles is not enough from a practical point of view.

Old 10-16-06, 11:02 AM
D
Thanks racraft - The room is 11' x 12'. It has one egress window, one double door walk-in closet and a single door utility closet door. Measuring 6' from any break in the wall for code and 12' max between receptacles in the room showed 4 receptacles needed. I will remeasure again to be sure of this.

Bedroom is slated for a AFCI circuit in the panel and has a smoke detector hardwired there today.

Do you see any other issues with this now with the above information?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-06, 11:53 AM
R
Depending on where the closet door and room door are located, you may need more than four receptacles. Remember that, for example, if either door is in the center of the wall then you may need a recepacle on either side, on the same wall.

Just make sure the egress window meets the requirements. Typical basement windows do not count.

Old 10-16-06, 11:59 AM
D
Thanks racroft - I think the minimum wall space is 12" for not needing a receptacle correct? So if the two closets were less than 12" from each other - there would not need to be a receptacle there.

I did get lucky on this room because the window that is used in this room - is the one window that the basement had for egress by code standards.

I think I'm all set! Thanks for the infrmation!

Ryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: