Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Knob & Tube -trying to hook up a programmable thermostat...

Knob & Tube -trying to hook up a programmable thermostat...

Old 10-16-06, 01:06 PM
Angry Knob & Tube -trying to hook up a programmable thermostat...

I recently purchased a home and want to hook up a Honeywell RTH6300B programmable thermostat. I have looked at all possible wiring configurations in the honeywell installation guide and on their website, but nowhere does it tell you how to hook this thermostat up if you have knob and tube wiring (I only have 2 wires. One black,one white)
On the old thermostat (also a honeywell, but an older circular model) I cannot see any model number, but there are a few letters scattered on the back and it is a 24volt.
On the "thermostat wizard" page it says to connect Unmarked 1 to the R connection and Unmarked 2 to the W connection.
But how do I know which wire is Unmarked 1 and which is Unmarked 2.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated because it is getting cold here in Canada.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 01:15 PM
Wink

For just heat you have only a R and a W on the tstat. That you use. If this is all you have you could just put what ever you want on R and W.
If this is a old furnace look for the transformer in it and see what color wire comes off it one will go to the gas valve and the other will go up to the tstat as R and come back to the furnce as the W that will go to the other side of the gas valve.

ED

Old 10-16-06, 01:23 PM
Follow Ed's advice.

FYI, knob and tube has nothing to do with this, and the title may scare some people off from replying.