need help wiring fan to heater

Old 10-16-06, 03:15 PM
need help wiring fan to heater

hi...we have a "Cozy" Standalone heater, and the top fan never has turned on..so I investigated and found a wire came loose from the wire nut, so I re-tightened the wires...so after lighting the pilot and kicking it on, the fan still doesnt spin...the wires coming from the wall are a black/white/red/and a bare copper wire wrapped in paper or something(ground?)..but the bare wire and red have been snipped off, for no use..the only wires from the home line being used are the black and white

Does this need to be grounded to function, or not?

heres the model right here, in particular the fan wiring diagram is on page 14 of the PDF.

http://www.cozyheaters.com/pdfs/products/wall_furnace.pdf

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> the fan still doesnt spin

Is the fan controlled by a thermostat perhaps? Are you sure the furnace wiring matches the wiring diagram exactly? Sometimes the wires twist up in the box and look like they are connected differently than they actually are.

> but the bare wire and red have been snipped off

The red wire is unused for this type of heater; capping the wire is better than cutting, but that's water under the dam. The bare ground wire shouldn't have been cut, but that was common practice years ago.

> Does this need to be grounded to function, or not?

Probably not to function, but the ground adds a level safety that should be there.

Old 10-16-06, 03:36 PM
hmm...yea I went over the diagram alot, and its wired the way it should be...yes the heater has a thermostat, controlled by a 1-10 dial by the pilot light knob at the bottom.
In that PDF, it says the fan kit is optional, so when its wired correctly, doesnt that mean it will always be on?

I guess the question is, does the fan systematically come on at a certain heat? Or what triggers the fan to spin, I dont know..lol

Oh and when I put my tester to the bare ground wire, it registers voltage...is that normal?

I have one of those little pen like voltage testers.

Also I noticed that the home line from the wall, connects its black wire to one of the two black wires that go to the fan switch, and the homes white wire connects to the white wire on the fan motor...and the black wire on the fan motor connects to the other black wire on the fan switch...

So one wire going to the fan switch is hot, the other black wire fromthe switch leading to the fan motor is not hot..what triggers the switch to release that current to the motor?

Last edited by popkern; 10-16-06 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-16-06, 04:51 PM
When the switch is on current should flow through the switch, but I cannot tell if yours may also have a built in temperature sensor that causes it to come on after a certain temperature is reached.

I cannot tell from the pdf.

Old 10-16-06, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some furnaces will engage the fan at a fixed time after the burner lights -- usually like 30 seconds. Others will engage the fan when the temperature of the heat exchanger reaches a threshold (~140 degrees).

> when I put my tester to the bare ground wire, it
> registers voltage...is that normal?

What are you measuring the voltage to? Voltage measurements require two points (two probes on the voltage tester); one is the ground wire, what is the other?