Thermostat wiring

Old 10-16-06, 06:46 PM
Thermostat wiring

I attempted to change a thermostat. The old was a White Rodger mercury bulb thermostat and I replaced it with a Honeywell CT31. Opened the directions for the new Honeywell about the wiring and everything seemed real simple. Disconnected the old to find only 2 wires and the corresponding labelled terminals on the old had me connecting both those wires on the same new terminal according to the Honeywell manual. Old labels were an R and the other was 4. Honeywell says R goes to their R but so does the old 4 label. Read a post somewhere else based on wire colors. Well that might be another problem. The house is very old and the wires were actually cloth wrapped but colored white and red. Now another post I read basically said wire color corresponded with lettered terminal...i.e. Red with R, White with W, Yellow with Y. Honeywell manual says don't pay attention to wire colors. Where am I going here? I was able to turn on the heat but when I turned off the theremostat or lowered the temp. the heat would not go off. I think I turned the heat on down at the furnace so I'm not sure the thermostat turned anything on.

Do I need to find a special thermostat for 2 wires?

Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-06, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What are the terminals on the new T-stat marked?
Is this a HEAT only T-stat?
You do only have 2- wires at the stat, Correct?

If so, 1- wire goes to "R" and the other to "W". then you should end your dilema.
disregard the "rc" and "Y" those are for cooling.and more advanced systems.

Old 10-17-06, 03:21 AM
heating and cooling systemes often have built in time delays.

for example when you turn the thermostat down the blower fan may contnue to run for a few minutes while the combustion chamber cools.

Old 10-17-06, 04:33 AM
The new thermostat is for heating only. The terminals are labelled W, R, Y, and G. I will try to connect Red to R and White to W. Thank you.