It Happened Again!!!

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-06, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exclamation It Happened Again!!!

Just got my October CL&P electric bill(covers September).

Last year: $46
This year: $39

Conditions: Sept 06 avgd 3 degrees cooler than '05.
Electric company increased rates 22% between
January and April '06.

And both September 06(august) and October 06(sept) bills, despite the jacked up rates, had lower kWh levels AND charges?

If this does not speak favorably of switching back-stab to side-wire or back-pressure-plate, then I MUST be crazy. Heck, I'm glad I'm crazy, saving money!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 10:11 AM
IMO, it is just possibly coincedental.

Old 10-19-06, 12:18 PM
"If this does not speak favorably of switching back-stab to side-wire or back-pressure-plate, then I MUST be crazy. Heck, I'm glad I'm crazy, saving money!!!! "

I do not know how that has any affect on you bill.

Old 10-19-06, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by wareagle
"If this does not speak favorably of switching back-stab to side-wire or back-pressure-plate, then I MUST be crazy. Heck, I'm glad I'm crazy, saving money!!!! "

I do not know how that has any affect on you bill.
Well, let's see what next October's bill looks like...

Old 10-19-06, 03:47 PM
Do you have any technical based reason why you would expect changing out backstabs would reduce your power consumption? It really doesn't make a lot of sense. Outlets are usually a very minor part of the total power usage.

Old 10-19-06, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
[Message edited. Comment not appropriate.]

Last edited by racraft; 10-21-06 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Do you have any technical based reason why you would expect changing out backstabs would reduce your power consumption? It really doesn't make a lot of sense. Outlets are usually a very minor part of the total power usage.
Very simple: contact AREA. Pick up a pencil with two fingers. Now, pickup that same pencil by gripping it in your whole hand. Assume that pencil is an electrical conductor. It's gonna zap you a lot more gripping your whole hand around it than just the tips of two fingers. =O

regards,

Old 10-20-06, 07:40 AM
Sorry Jack -Your logic escapes me.

Old 10-20-06, 08:55 AM
The equipment that are the major users of electrical energy are
A/C units, Range, Water heaters, dryers, and maybe dishwashers and they are not plugged into a receptacles.
Lamps and other minor users of power do not cause high bills.
If you are a big A/C user Octobers bill will be lower.

Old 10-20-06, 09:35 AM
The energy loss over the stabs is negligible, it's not going to make a difference if you add more a few more kcmils of contact surface if the difference is so small as to be unmeasrable with standard equipment. The back-stab is escewed by pros because it's easy to mess up when you're doing hundreds of them at a time and harder to troubleshoot than screw terminals, which are much easier to check. Those back-stabs are UL listed and easily support the current we're seeing at 15A receptacles. If your back stabs weren't giving you problems before... sorry, but you did nothing but waste your time redoing them. Your electrical costs are coming from somewhere else.

Old 10-20-06, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
I'll add the comment that if the backstabs were the cause of an increase in power consumption, the recepticles would have been heating up with the wasted power.
In this case the real benefit would have been fire prevention.

If you still have those receptacles you should see discoloration if the back stabs were a problem.

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic and because no question is really being asked the forum moderators could close this thread.

Old 10-20-06, 08:18 PM
Talking

[Message edited. Comment not appropriate.]

Last edited by racraft; 10-21-06 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 11:03 PM
ddr
Just making a point -- DO NOT ATTEMPT

Iíd say that weíre all wasting our time here, but that would be hypocritical because I keep reading these posts like a moth drawn to a flame...

Jack,

You claim, among other things, that your lights are noticeably brighter on circuits where you changed from back-stab to side terminal connections. I donít buy it, but letís say for the sake of argument that your theory is true: by using side terminals instead of back-stabs you are increasing the contact surface area of conductive material, thereby leading to a brighter bulb because it is getting more voltage and/or less resistance (the wattage of the bulb is constant, so the only way it is going to get brighter is if it receives more voltage). Okay then:

So letís say you have a dedicated line from service panel to receptacle. The wire is 14AWG and the receptacle is back-stabbed. A lamp is plugged into this receptacle. When measuring the voltage passing to the lamp socket it is, for the sake of argument, a perfect 120V. According to your theory the bulb would get noticeably brighter by changing from back-stab to side terminal because the surface contact area has increased slightly. If this is the case, the voltage would have increased a measurable amount as well. If this is true, then the brightness/voltage would continue to increase if you:

*** WARNING: EVERYTHING BELOW IS HYPOTHETICAL; I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANY OF IT BE ATTEMPTED. ALL ELECTRICAL DESIGN TESTING SHOULD BE DONE AT A PROPER FACILITY ***

A. change from 14AWG to 12AWG wire since there would be a slight increase in contact area both at the breaker and the side terminal and less resistance along the run

B. instead of just connecting the hot wire to the top terminal, loop it from there onto the bottom terminal (now youíve about doubled your contact area)

C. pigtail three jumpers from the hot attaching one to both side terminals as described in B, one to the top back-stab and one to the bottom back-stab simultaneously

If just going from back-stab to to side terminal made a noticeable difference in the brightness of the light as you stated, then with each change above (especially B and C) there would be an increase in brightness and voltage, one that could be measured and used to prove your theory (BY A LAB -- DONĒT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS).

If your theory were true, then the best connection would be a cylindrical clamp that made contact with the entire circumference of the wire for, say, the height of the receptacle. This would lead to lower energy needs, leading to lower energy production, leading to less pollution and less dependence on foreign oil. Imagine: cheap power for everyone, a stronger economy, and a cleaner environment -- all from redesigning receptacles, switches, and such.

If you can physically prove it Jack, then more power to you (no pun intended); design it, HAVE A LAB TEST IT, patent it, and every nay-sayer here will have to eat his/her wire cutters.

Did I mention that no one should try any of the above?

Old 10-21-06, 05:48 AM
A soldered connection would be easier (and safer) to test this on. Would destroy an outlet, but they're only 50 cents to replace.

Old 10-21-06, 05:57 AM
I am closing this thread. We've been here before.

Closed Thread