outlets in roof overhang

Old 10-19-06, 02:38 PM
outlets in roof overhang

I want to put approx 6 outlest in my overhangs for Christmas lights. I want to run these off of a new dedicated breaker (serve as a switch for this year, real wall switch next year).
I'm pretty sure this is what I need to do but looking for some "seasoned" help..
breaker to gfi white to silver, black to copper and neutral to green screw. then from the other side of the gfi follow same pattern to next outlet and repeat to end of run. I kind of a 'series' setup..
does this sound about right? thanks for any help/guidance.
Jim

O yeah, so far I have the outlets, wire and breaker switch. The breaker and outlets are 20amp and the wire 12 ga. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 02:49 PM
You may want to consider a GFI breaker instead of a GFI outlet, so that you will not need a ladder to reset the GFI if it trips.

Old 10-19-06, 03:00 PM
I second the motion for a GFCI breaker. Either that or use a GFCI/switch combination and install it this year. You do NOT want to use a circuit breaker as a switch.

By the way, you may as well install the switch this year, as it won't be any easier next year.

Last edited by racraft; 10-19-06 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 03:06 PM
I have a timer switch for my roof lights. It works great. I'd go ahead and install something like that this year. It'll make your life a lot easier.

JT

Old 10-19-06, 04:54 PM
JimS: This sounds like a neat idea. I might do this myself.

JWhite, Racraft, et al: Do you have to use outdoor receptacles if you put them in the soffit? Also, would it be okay to use 15 amp breaker and 14 gauge wire if only Xmas lights are used on the circuit? One other thing, is the GFCI (breaker or outlets) required, or something you recommend? Tks.

Old 10-19-06, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by bigfred
JimS: This sounds like a neat idea. I might do this myself.

JWhite, Racraft, et al: Do you have to use outdoor receptacles if you put them in the soffit? Also, would it be okay to use 15 amp breaker and 14 gauge wire if only Xmas lights are used on the circuit? One other thing, is the GFCI (breaker or outlets) required, or something you recommend? Tks.
See, I'm glad I found this place.
You all right on the switch I just didn't want to try and figure "one more" thing out. Thanks for the info on the GFI breaker, I will be exchanging what I got. probably go ahead stick w/ the wire and receptacles unless someone thinks it's a bad idea to have plain outlets in the soffits, I can't see them ever getting really wet or anything and will be shutting down the breaker after the holidays. I'm in Arlington,Tx if anyone has any code (regular v. outdoor outlets) knowledge for my specific town. Thanks again for all the good information..

Old 10-19-06, 08:35 PM
These receptacles are outside. GFCI protection is required.

Old 10-19-06, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Racraft is pointing you in the right direction (like usual). Certainly GFCI, and you should install a switch now while you're at it. A timer switch (they are now less than $25 for a digital one that automatically adjusts for sunset, well worthwhile.

> I will be exchanging what I got. probably go ahead stick w/
> the wire and receptacles unless someone thinks it's a bad
> idea to have plain outlets in the soffits,

Because they are exterior receptacles, they need to have outdoor rated covers on them. Code states that you need to use the in-use covers (large plastic bubble) so they remain weatherproof even with something plugged in, but since they are under soffit, I would think a regular outdoor coverplate (with the little doors) would be fine. (not sure of the code implications though).