Can't turn power off !

Old 10-19-06, 03:57 PM
Question Can't turn power off !

Have 2 - 100 amp panels. Want to change the light switches to a more decrative one. Can't shut off the power. Have gone through every breaker 2 or 3 times and have shut off the main breaker for each of the panels. My kitchen lights still stay on. I've looked for a sub-panel and there does not appear to be one. The electrical meter comes into the hosue just on the other side of the wall from the panels. There probably isn't 2 feet between them.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 04:06 PM
Have you turned off BOTH main breakers at the same time?

Have you looked at any other lights or reeptracles on the same circuit to see if they also exhibit the same problem?

Have you looked at the wiring for both panels?

Old 10-19-06, 04:10 PM
not to be redundant but i would say you missed something. either the breaker is in the outside disconnect (assuming you have one..its the big box outside next to the meter base) or you have just missed a breaker inside. Either way...you should have a 200 AMP breaker that controls the house. Shut the whole thing down and then proceed to bring it up one breaker at a time and label it correctly and totally so you won't have this problem later on.

Old 10-19-06, 04:44 PM
I'm no electrician, but I have a suggestion if what's been suggested so far doesn't help you solve this.

I'm thinking the light may be on a circuit connected to both panels. To test, I'd turn off the complete power at one panel, then turn off the breakers in the other one at a time. If you find one that turns out the light, then turn the power to the first panel back on and shut off each breaker there one at a time until you find the one that shuts off the light.

This may be totally wrong, but that's what I'd do at this point.