Replacing a fan/light combo with a light only

Old 10-19-06, 04:02 PM
Replacing a fan/light combo with a light only

A friend of mine has a ceiling fan with a light underneath that he would like to remove and replace with just a light. The switch has 3 buttons that control the fan and light. One button turns on the power, one button turns on the light and one button turns on the fan. The light and fan will only turn on after the power button is turned on. My friend wants me to replace the fan with a light but I'm not sure how many wires I will be dealing with. Is this a common switch? Can I replace it with a regular light switch? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Derek

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 04:07 PM
There will probably be three wire at the switch and the light. One of them will not be required.
This should be a simple issue. If you want further instructions tell us allthe wires attached tothe swithc and the current fan/light.

Old 10-19-06, 04:23 PM
I'll have to go to his house on Saturday and take the fan down and remove the switch. My friend was just telling me about it yesterday... I haven't actually looked at it yet. I'll get back with you on Saturday.

Thanks

Old 10-21-06, 01:27 PM
Exclamation **UPDATE on wiring of fan/light combo

I removed the switch which was part of a total of 4 switches controlling various lights in the bathroom (light to shower, recessed lights in bathroom, etc.). The switch was easy. There were two wires going to the existing switch, one hot wire and the other not. The fan/light combo had 3 wires (white, red and ground). The part of the project that was confusing was that the replacement light was an antique light with 2 wires wrapped in cloth. I couldn't tell which one should go to the hot wire. It looked like there was some black under the cloth of one and white under the cloth of the other. So I wired the white wire of the light to the white wire coming from the ceiling and the black wire of the light to the red wire from the ceiling. When we turned the power back on and flipped the switch everything worked. Does it sound like I did everything correctly?

Thanks,
Derek

Old 10-21-06, 01:57 PM
Please do not start a new thread to continue a previous one. It only serves to add confusion.

Yes, this sounds correct. However, your terminology is not. Both wires to the switch are hot wires. One is always hot, the other is switched hot. The wires you removed from the switch should be capped off and left alone. The other wire at the ceiling should also be capped off.

Old 10-21-06, 02:08 PM
Sorry for posting that way. I just needed an answer quickly in case I created a fire hazard. Thanks for responding. The wires I removed from the existing switch I used for the new switch. The other wire at the light was already capped off. So this sounds like everything is correct?