Wiring question about looping smokes

Old 10-21-06, 05:54 AM
Wiring question about looping smokes

I know I should have ran 14/3 but realized that too late, and I ran 14/2 from outlet in garage to smoke detector box in ceiling in laundry room, then to smoke box in living room , then to smoke in master bedroom then to smoke in spare bed room,.The smokes have a black, white, and a yellow and the yellow should be the wire that connects all the smokes together. The home has everything wired black to black hot, white to white common and of coarse bare to ground. My question is : using the 14/2, Can I still loop all (4) smokes together so if one goes off they all will sound, by wiring the black to the black, and the white from the smoke to the ground (bare wire to the house, and then the yellow from smoke to white house wire, and then just don't hook the white wire up at the power supply point? Or should I wire white to white , black to black and leave the yellow unhooked and not worry about having them all go off together?

Last edited by Badger; 10-21-06 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-06, 06:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should do ABSOLUTELY NONE of the above.

The ONLY acceptable solution is to run 14-3 cable between the smokes. Period.

Old 10-21-06, 06:54 AM
If you "don't hook the white wire up at the power supply point" then how do you expect the detectors to get any power and work?

I have no idea why you think you can salvage this, but you can't. At least not with these smoke detectors. You can go buy wireless smoke detectors, that communicate via radio signals, but that is about it. Until and unless you redo the wiring between the detectors you will not be able to interconnect the detectors you have.

If you are in a location where interconnected smoke detectors are required, or if you want to do this properly, you need to either replace the wiring or use wireless detectors.

Old 10-21-06, 07:08 AM
Using the copper as a shared ground/neutral would allow the white to act as a switched hot, but creates such an unsafe condition as to completely defeat the purpose of having an interconnected fire safety system in the first place!

Sorry, you need to climb back up into the attic and run 14/3

Old 10-21-06, 08:54 AM
Thumbs up innerconnecting smokes

OK ; I understand the only way to innerconnect will be to run 14/3 after the first box, I got to thinking;; I really don't need them to innerconnect, and it is not required in the part of Iowa that I am , so I can still use the 14/2 and wire them up black to black, white to white and not hook the yellow up on any of them, I understand they will not be innerconnected, but with the open floorplan it won't be a problem. this will be acceptable, right?

Old 10-21-06, 09:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are sure it is code legal in your part of the world, then it is legal.
Acceptable? That's your call.