Waste Disposal stopped working

Old 10-21-06, 09:10 AM
Cool Waste Disposal stopped working

This morning, when I flick the waste disposal switch, power went to unit but it did not turn...just a dull hum. I expected that something was blocking the blades or something like that.

I dug in my hand (with the switch off, of course!) and found an old 'wipes' rag stuck there. I pulled out as much as I could. Tried the switch again, still the dull hum.

I pulled out some more but there was a small 'wad' jammed in to the edges that just wont pry loose.

Tried the switch a couple of times, then even the dull hum dissappeared. Now, nothing happens.

Has the waste disposal died? RIP?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-06, 09:20 AM
Waste Disposal stopped working

Did you press the reset button on the bottom?

You should also have a metal "key" that you can insert into the disposal (breaker off) so you can turn it both ways to loosen everything up.

Dick

Old 10-21-06, 10:16 AM
Cool

Will try the reset button!

I know for sure there is no 'key'. Can i get it at the big box harware stores?

Old 10-21-06, 10:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink

It's like a big "allen" wrench.

Ps: DON"T EVER stick your hand in there!!!! Turn off breaker,if you must, and use some tongs or needle nose pliers.

Otherwise you may find yourself on the DIY medical page.

Old 10-21-06, 10:33 AM
You *could* just use a big allen wrench if the key isn't there. A lot of garbage disposals have a place built in to store it- look and see if it's jammed in there somewhere.

Also, disposal overloads can damage the cheap light switches that are often used with these. For you, your systems right now are consistant with a jam and tripped breaker, but if it suddenly just stops working down the road for no reason and nothing has tripped, test the switch.

Old 10-22-06, 02:59 AM
" I pulled out as much as I could. Tried the switch again, still the dull hum. I pulled out some more but there was a small 'wad' jammed in to the edges that just wont pry loose."
--> Sounds to me like at this point you just had a jammed machine. If you still haven't got the jam out, you need to do that first. I've had mine jam like this before and had to push (and tap with hammer) a long flat-head screwdriver against one of the cutter blade posts to get it free. It was awkward though. In any event, don't flip the switch anymore until the unit's base plate rotates freely.

"Tried the switch a couple of times, then even the dull hum dissappeared."
--> Hopefully, one of the circuit breakers (either the one on the unit itself, or the one at your service panel) tripped. Those are the easiest to resolve. Once you check these, the next most likely thing is the wall switch. I had a bad wall switch do this once. After that, bad news -- motor of unit is damaged, and a new unit will be necessary.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 10-22-06, 07:14 AM
Cool Solved!

Concretemasonary, letriclee, grover, bigfred,

Thank you all very much for your helpful responses.

The 'wad' that had jammed the plate was one of those lowly kitchen wipes that found its way into the disposal drain!

Just as bigfred suggested, I 'dislodged' the was with a knife, practically cutting it down and taking it out piece by piece.

I did not find the 'key' or a suitable wrench. I took an old rag and used it as a grip to try and turn the blade with my hand. It took a bit of elbow grease, but it finally became free and was then easily turned with the hand.

Then click the 'reset' button, turn on the breaker, switch on and its back to business.

Thank you guys. Been a great help.

Old 10-22-06, 08:39 AM
Smile

RJNJC: Glad to hear you were able to resolve this without having to replace the unit.

Old 10-22-06, 08:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink

Or your hand.

Old 10-22-06, 09:01 AM
Cool

lectriclee and bigfred.

Yes indeed. Glad not to have to get a new unit

Even more glad and thankful that I achieve this without loss of limb!

Thank you.