Right way to temporarily cap wires?

Old 10-21-06, 02:12 PM
PJJ
Question Right way to temporarily cap wires?

This seems like such a newbie question but I have searched and can't find the answer :-p. I am preparing to tile my kitchen backsplash, and to do it I need to temporarily remove the undercabinet fluorescent fixture over the sink. I can't just leave the circuit breaker off for the two or three days it takes to do the tiling because the same circuit controls the overhead light, which I need to see what I'm doing.

The switch for the fixture I'm temporarily removing is on the fixture itself. What's the right, safe way to cap or secure these wires while I'm working on the tile?

I've removed and replaced light fixtures before with no problems, but I've never had to remove one and leave it down for a couple of days. Advice greatly appreciated!

PJJ in VA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-06, 02:16 PM
The wires need to be capped with wire nuts. You can add a little ekectrical tape, if you want, but the tape should not be necessary. The safer thing would be to install a temporary junction box and cap the wires inside the box. Even safer would be to disconnect the wires at the other end, which may be at the ceiling light.

Last edited by racraft; 10-21-06 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 02:20 PM
PJJ
Thanks -- wow that was fast!

Hi Bob,

Thanks much -- I was thinking wire nuts but that seemed like it was too easy and therefore couldn't be right. A temp junction box sounds like a good way to go.

I really appreciate the help!

PJJ in VA