wiring new fixture

Old 10-22-06, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring new fixture

i am attempting to replace a bathroom light fixture with a ventilator (no light in the fixture, just a fan) when i removed the light fixture i found two cables feeding it...one with two wires (black and white) the other with three (black white and red) the new fixture has two wires (white and black)...the light fixture had all three white wires pigtailed together and the red wire was attached to the black wire from the fixture and the two black wires that remained were pigtailed....help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-06, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Just make your new connections the same as the old ones. Ventilator white to the whites, ventilator black to the red. Connect all grounds together and to the ventilator housing.

Old 10-22-06, 09:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
two black wires that remained were pigtailed....help#

Disconnect the power at the breaker. these were just spliced to each other, correct?

Install the new fixture the same as the old one.Only now it's a fan and not a light.

The 2-blacks are the constant power "feed" thru.
the red is the switched power ( from sw, to fixture).
All whites are to remain together.

Old 10-22-06, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by DarkSith
when i removed the light fixture i found two cables feeding it...one with two wires (black and white) the other with three (black white and red) the new fixture has two wires (white and black)...the light fixture had all three white wires pigtailed together and the red wire was attached to the black wire from the fixture and the two black wires that remained were pigtailed....help
The red wire likely go to the switch and one of the black does also. I would connect the fan in the same way. The red and black should be connected to the switch. You may want to remove the sw cover and look at the wires on the switch.

Old 10-22-06, 10:12 AM
thx

thx for the help...the black wires were just spliced together....breakers are off...i'm going to do as suggested...rewire as the old light was and just pigtail the two black wires back together.....thx again for the assitance...one less honey do.....

Old 10-22-06, 10:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1- clarifiacation in terms.
A pig tail would describe 2 wires (or more) spliced together with a 3rd (for ex.) going to some sort of device.
What you have now is simply a "SPLICE".