Change of Main Panel

Old 10-23-06, 12:08 PM
Change of Main Panel

I live on 2 acres and the house elect meter is about 200 ft from the utility company box. I would like to build a remote shop and have electricity there. I understand there are several different ways I can get elect power. The shop will be located about 20 ft from the elect company utility box and about 200 ft from the house. The lot has a ton of trees and I am concerned about cutting roots. Could I run the power from the elect company utility box to the shop and then to the house? Could I have the house power as a "sub" panel powered connection? I dont want to run underground power lines 200 ft through the tree roots and I would rather not have a separate elect meter on the shop. Can I sub the house off of the shop? I live in Argyle, TX Denton County.

Thanks!
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-06, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
After your meter, you can run it just about any way you like. The correct option for you probably depends on how big your current service is (100A, 150A, 200A?) and how big of service do you need at the shop. What kinds of tools, welders, dust collection, etc will you have? One person working at a time or more?

The way I read your post is that the meter is on the house, and the house is 200 feet from the shop. That means you can either have the power company install a seperate service to the shop or trench the 200 feet from the house to the shop.

It also _could_ be possible to relocate the meter out at the transformer location and feed both the house and the shop from there. You will have to contact an engineer at the power company for approval of that option. If they did approve it, you still may need to replace the wire between the house and the utility which would be expensive and require trenching.

Given what you have said so far, having a service installed to the shop could be the best option.

Old 10-23-06, 03:38 PM
Wether you go from the house to the garage or from the garage to the house you still need to run the wire. I don't see a difference.
Do you have power at your house already? If not then to the garage first sounds like the logical route.

Old 10-24-06, 12:31 AM
The electric company has a electric box that is feed from underground. The power lines run underground approx 200 ft to the house where the meter is. I would like to build a shop/garage that would be real close to the electric company box. Approximately 20 ft from it. I could trench from the house panel to the shop but that would be 200 feet again. I also could have the electric company run a separate set of lines to the shop with a second meter there but I would be charged an additional fee for Peter Greeter the Meter Reader to look at 2 meters for one address. What I would like to do is run from the electric company box to the shop then tap into the line running to the house. Just have to trench 20 ft that way.

Right now:

Box>=========200'==================>meter/house.

Option 1:

Box>=========200'==================>meter/house
Shop<_________180'______________________</

Option 2:

Box>==>meter/Shop>==========200'=========>house

If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I will.

Thanks

Old 10-24-06, 06:08 AM
That makes more sense to me now.

Old 10-24-06, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> then tap into the line running to the house. Just have
> to trench 20 ft that way.

I suspect you will run into a roadblock with this plan for two reasons:

1) The lines between the utility company box and your meter usually are the property of the power company, even though they are on your property and you may have actually bought them when the service was originally installed.

2) The power company is not required to follow the National Electric Code when choosing the size of wire to feed a house. Therefore the feeder from the utility company box to your home is probably undersized from an NEC point of view. This is okay upstream of the meter; however, if you relocate the meter to the garage and then tap these conductors to feed the house they may not be of legal size anymore. This is a technicality, but I doubt an inspector would let it slide.

You should probably contact the power company and have one of their engineers assess the situation.

Old 10-24-06, 01:41 PM
Thanks Ben. I appreciate the information. I will have a pro look into it.