Heating an outside rock walkway

Old 10-24-06, 12:33 PM
Heating an outside rock walkway

Not really sure where to post this (I put one in Exterior) but since it has some electrical involvement...I'd figure I'd try here as well.

I thought I ran across this somewhere before just not sure so I figured I'd ask out here and see if anyone knows something about it.

Like I mentioned....I thought I read somewhere where you can install/fabricate sometype of heat tape or wire or something to the effect in the grooves of a walk way. Then in the winter time when you get snow or ice build up, you can plug this thing in and it would heat up just warm enough to thaw it out thus removing the hazard.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

thx

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Bricks, Masonry, Stucco and Concrete forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-24-06 at 04:22 PM. Reason: See moderator's note in post
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-06, 02:58 PM
You can buy heat tape, it's common for roofs and gutters for preventing ice dams. Just bury some of that, and you're good to go!

Old 10-24-06, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"You can buy heat tape, it's common for roofs and gutters for preventing ice dams. Just bury some of that, and you're good to go!"

VERY BAD advice! That stuff is listed and desigened to be installed as instructed. You will void any warranty, create a serious code violation, and possibly create a dangerous situation by doing such a thing.

I don't know of anything off hand that you can use but I'm sure there is something. I do know of folks who have done this with liquid radiant heating tubes like you would put in a slab floor.

Old 10-24-06, 05:07 PM
Speedy, I thought they made heat tapes specifically for driveways and walks for melting snow.

Edit: they do:
http://www.easyheat.com/Content1/Products/Details/sm_detail.htm

Last edited by grover; 10-24-06 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 05:22 PM
They very well might.
I was commenting that you said to use roof and gutter tape burried underground.

Old 10-24-06, 05:23 PM
"Edit: they do:
http://www.easyheat.com/Content1/Products/Details/sm_detail.htm"

There ya go.