Workmanship Question

Old 10-29-06, 08:35 AM
Lightbulb Workmanship Question

I have a question for you all about workmanship / quality of work. First, I live in Chicago, where EMT is code. So my first question is, is is considered to be mediocre workmanship if you use j-boxes instead of 90-degree bends? My second question relates to the box fill. Is it considered to be poor workmanship / quality if you use extension rings? I know it may sound funny, but I absolutely hate using e-rings, I think it looks sloppy. I do all of my own electrical work in my house, so for me, if it doesn't look as close as to professional as it can, it really bugs me. Conduit is cheap, so if I buy 30 feet of condiut and only use 15 because I had to redo some of my work, it's fine with me - not like the stuff is expensive. At less than two bucks for 10 feet, I think its worth the time to make sure the work looks good.

All of the work that I am speaking of is located in an unfinished basement, where when we finish it, it would have a drop ceiling. Access to the boxes, etc., wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by MrBillll; 10-29-06 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-06, 08:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) some installs require "JBs'", only 360 deg.of bends allowed in a run, includes offsets and kicks. depending on how the lay out is for branching in different directions they are ok.

2) extensions are legal, I don't much care for them. however some times a change in scope will dictate them, If not, most times it's just bad planning.

Any event, the code clearly states "Neat and workman like manner".110.12

Last edited by lectriclee; 10-29-06 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 08:58 AM
Yes, sometimes a j-box is required or desired at a corner. If you are specifically using a j-box to avoid a 90 then yes, IMO this is poor workmanship.
Like you said, 1/2" EMT is cheap. Get yourself a nice bender and teach yourself how to at least make 90's and offsets.

Collars again can sometimes not be avoided. I use deep (2-1/8") 4" sq boxes almost exclusively so they are rarely required.
I know of no restriction not allowing conduit or flex out of an x-collar.

Old 10-29-06, 09:07 AM
Edited my last post, as speedy indicated,I can find no such rule.

Old 10-29-06, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your replies - so fast!

I've gotten somewhat good with bending and such. Now there are a few runs that I have done where I have used a J-box in place of a 90, but the bolder I get with doing multiple bends in one run of EMT, the more I realize how unecessary they are in some spots.

What's a kick bend? Are these where you are coming up to a j-box? The terminology is confusing when you don't use it much...stub up, offset, kick, etc... UF.

Old 10-29-06, 09:27 AM
Offset: the transition to a box.Or to a different elevation. 2-bends
Kick: can be... following a 90 then up/down to a new elevation. 1- bend
Stub up: is just that, short bend up thru a floor, slab etc. typical 90 deg.

Old 10-29-06, 09:32 AM
Thanks!

Thanks, lectriclee! Do you say chowda, or chowder?

Old 10-29-06, 09:44 AM
Talking

Must you ask!? Chowda of course, But you don't eat it in the cah you always wait 'till it's pahked in tha yahd.

Old 10-29-06, 10:41 AM
> Like you said, 1/2" EMT is cheap. Get yourself a nice bender
> and teach yourself how to at least make 90's and offsets.

Benders are kinda expensive for the DIY who is only doing 1 simple project. As luck would have it, though, the big boxes place the benders right beside the conduit and never in any packaging, as if you encourage you to bring in measurements and practice right at the store!

Beats buying and returning when you're done To be ethical about it, be sure to buy your mistakes, heh.

Old 10-29-06, 11:25 AM
Benda

I've managed to inherit a 1/2" bender from my father-in-law, and very very old-school bender that is kind of odd. It can bend both 3/4 and 1/2...switching between the two is done by a hindged piece which folds to one postion for 1/2" and another for 3/4". It's seen its fair share of rust and it has a 6" bend radius to it...

Old 10-29-06, 11:41 AM
"Benders are kinda expensive for the DIY who is only doing 1 simple project."

Not really though for a DIY'er in Chicago.
Ebay has some great deals too if you are patient.

Old 10-29-06, 01:32 PM
So do you all prefer working with Romex, or EMT?

Old 10-29-06, 03:34 PM
Do you have to ask?

Ok, EMT is fun, but come on!
I know Chicagoland guys have themselves brainwashed that EMT in home is great. I've seen pictures and it is crazy.

I to this day have NO clue why Chicago still thinks it needs this requirement. Do they know something the WHOLE rest of the country doesn't?
Do they really think Mrs. O'Leary's cow is still out there running around looking for oil lamps to knock over?

Old 10-29-06, 03:59 PM
Cool

EMT: If the DOD (Dept of Def) has lightend up on this then perhaps Chi-town can.
I do agree it can make one shine... Then they bury it. What a crying shame to hide good craftsmanship.

Now a little further west, they (i beleive) require flex every where. Even then do you get more play with that than "RX"?

Now expansion couplings...... I digress sorry.