Number of wires

Old 10-29-06, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Number of wires

This may seem a little confusing, but bear with me.

I am running a circuit to most of my lights and an outlet for my first floor and I want to see if this wire layout will work work. (15 amp circuit, but using 12 guage wire)

Power comes to first floor from panel on 12/2 wire and runs to receptacle. Wire runs from receptacle to dining room light. 12/3 wire runs from dining room light switch to dining room light (octagon). From there power goes to living room light (octagon) using 12/2. From living room light power runs to living room light switch using 12/3 wire. From living room light, 12/2 will run to a double gang box. In the double gang box will be two light switches to two different lights (outside porch and inside entryway). Is this sound correct? Am I missing anything?

I know its confusing. I may have to draw a diagram.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-06, 03:44 AM
As long as you keep red as always your switch leg, you should be able to keep track of all this easy.

Old 10-30-06, 07:46 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Your cables are fine. You will be able to control the lights and have constant power where you need it.

Old 10-30-06, 08:15 AM
Since you are using 12 gage cable, I suggest that you use a 20 amp breaker, but you can certainly continue with a 15 amp one.

I do, however, recommend that you make sure that ALL the cable you use is 12 gage. You, or someone else, may want to upgrade the circuit to be 20 amp and if there is 14 gage wire anywhere this won't be possible without replacing it. Even worse would be someone assuming all 12 gage wire and upsize the breaker without knowing there is some 14 gage wire somewhere.