Dryer Breaker kicking??

Old 10-30-06, 12:33 PM
Dryer Breaker kicking??

I was using the dryer today and it was a fairly large load and when it was done some of the towels were still damp so I started it again and about 15 min. it shut off. I had it on a 45 min. cycle and I went downstairs and the breaker tripped. This is the 3 time in about a 4 month period it has done this. It is a 30 amp pushmatic. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-06, 01:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it heat up at all?

Old 10-30-06, 03:44 PM
My first guess would be the heating element(s) are going bad. But it could be the breaker. How old is the dryer???

Old 10-30-06, 03:53 PM
Does what heat up at all? The breaker?? No Also the dryer is maybe from 99-03. I would have to check on that! I bought the house a yr. ago and it came w/ the house. Thanks!!

Old 10-30-06, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by diyplank
I was using the dryer today and it was a fairly large load and when it was done some of the towels were still damp so I started it again and about 15 min. it shut off. I had it on a 45 min. cycle and I went downstairs and the breaker tripped. This is the 3 time in about a 4 month period it has done this. It is a 30 amp pushmatic. Any suggestions??

I am a electrical contractor... The one sentence that caught my eye was this. It is a 30 amp pushmatic!!! I would try to replace the breaker first. I came across this problem many times. Older breakers with heavy loads on them tend to go bad in time. Good luck finding that breaker though. What is a good way to check it first is use a amp probe on the wires going into the breaker. Take the reading and test the other. Remember the start up load is greater when first started. You should see a small spike then level off. You can get the kw off the name plate then divide the voltage for the amps. Compare it to the readings off the amp probe and see if it's actually the drier or the breaker. I'm betting it's the breaker.

Good Luck

Tom718

Old 10-31-06, 04:47 AM
Well I will replace the breaker. I have boughten about 4 of them on ebay so far for far less cheaper than the local shop that I found them at!! A 30 amp at the store is 65 dollars!! I found them on ebay for around 20-30! Should I stay at the 30 amp or go larger!?? Thanks

Old 10-31-06, 04:52 AM
Go larger? Only if you want to burn your house down.

Old 10-31-06, 05:11 AM
No need for sarcasm!! I am not a f$%^ing genious like you!!

Old 10-31-06, 05:57 AM
Group Moderator
I buy lots of things on Ebay but some things I would never buy except from a
known reputable source. Bungie cords for base jumping and parachutes are a couple of items but top of my list would be breakers. There is no DIY way to test the safty of breakers and it is doubtful the sellers would have a way. The breakers may be salvage from abandoned building are from boxes pulled for replacement with no documentation on their condition. There are also a growing list of counterfeit items from China that do not meet minimum safety standards. Everything from counterfeit brake parts to baby formula has caused death or injury. High dollar breakers would certainly be a target for unscrupulous manufacturers.

Also have you checked that the dryer vent is not clogged?

Last edited by ray2047; 10-31-06 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-31-06, 06:19 AM
diyplank, sorry if you misinterpreted my response as sarcasm. It was not meant as such. I didn't realize you were seriously asking if you could upsize a circuit breaker.

No, you cannot just replace a circuit breaker with a larger one. In the case of an electric dryer, circuit breakers are sized to protect the dryer and the wires from the panel to the dryer. Even if the wires were large enough for a larger circuit breaker, the dryer is not. Using a larger circuit breaker will allow an unsafe condition to be created, which could lead to a fire, which could burn your house down.

You either have a bad circuit breaker or a problem with the dryer.

Old 10-31-06, 09:57 AM
That was my coworker that posted that!! I appologize!! I have boughten 3 breakers off this guy for my pushmatic panel and they all still work! That was a yr ago almost. Dryer vent is clear! Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 10-31-06, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Not to belabor a point the fact that they conduct electricity doesn't mean they work. If they work they will NOT conduct electricity in case of a short. The problem is you won't know if they don't work till it is too late.