Sub Panel or Mini Breakers

Old 10-30-06, 01:39 PM
Sub Panel or Mini Breakers

I currently have 100amp service in my house and I'm out of spaces to add breakers. I need (4) new 20's and a 30 for a 220 line. I was originally thinking of adding a 60amp sub panel. I went to Home Depot and the guy suggested I use mini breakers instead of installing the sub panel. Are these safe? Can I replace all of my 20 amp breakers with these mini breakers and therefore gain more spaces. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-06, 02:05 PM
The answer depends on whether your panel is designed for mini breakers and whether or not you have exceeded the maximum number of breakers allowed for your panel.

Old 10-30-06, 02:39 PM
where do I find out the max number my breaker supports?

Old 10-30-06, 02:41 PM
let me re-phrase that.

Where can I find out what the max number of breakers my panel can hold?

Old 10-30-06, 03:05 PM
Read the information on the panel label. it will say something like 20-40, or perhaps 20-30, etc. How many circuit breakers are in place now? Do not count the main breaker, and count each 240 volt breaker as two.

Old 10-31-06, 01:19 PM
Is there a physical tell-tale sign of whether or not a panel can handle the mini-breakers or Slim-Lines?

My main service panel is a Westinghouse Cat# B24-40 BFN, BSN. I'm needing to make space as well for a feed to my dock sub-panel and was suggested Slim-Lines or mini's I guess. Is there a website i can possibly look up the panel to find out more? Going to Westinghouse.com isn't doing it.

Old 10-31-06, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Is there a physical tell-tale sign of whether or not
> a panel can handle the mini-breakers or Slim-Lines?

No. It will be implied with the space/circuit numbers or specifically listed by the panel manufacturer. An electrical supply house should be able to locate a breaker listed for your panel. They have access to the breaker manufacturer catalogs which list panel compatibilities. The big box stores do NOT have this information.