Needed opinion on UBI circuit breaker

Old 10-30-06, 01:43 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Needed opinion on UBI circuit breaker

I just acquired a new UBI circuit breaker, 30 amp double pole (UBIF 230N), to replace my Fed Pac breaker ...since I've read so much negative about the Federal Pacific breakers.

But I notice that the 3 prongs on the UBI breaker, instead of being copper/bronze colored, are steel colored. I don't know if they are aluminum, and haven't been able to find out what kind of metal they are, but I'm under the impression that it's best to stay away from aluminum (at least in wiring).

Can someone comment on this and let me know if this metal is aluminum and what that means for safety. I'm going to use this double breaker to supply a sub-panel.

Thanks,

jc

Old 10-30-06, 02:30 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
They are probably an aluminum alloy. Aluminum is very common in breakers and panel buses and is safe for that purpose. The real problem with aluminum is in branch circuit wiring to receptacles, switches and light fixtures throughout the house. Aluminum is just fine for feeders, breakers, buses, etc.

Regarding FPE: My personal opinion is to just replace the whole darn thing instead of use replacement breakers, but I certainly understand it's not always possible to do that financially.

Old 10-30-06, 05:39 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Until now, none of the replacement breakers made for FPE panels have proven to be any safer than the original breakers.

This is a strong statement, but IMHO that panel is a fire waiting to happen.

Do yourself a favor and replace the entire panel and all the breakers.

Old 10-31-06, 03:26 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jwhite, perhaps you could explain your statement so it would make sense...with some details.

Thanks, jc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: