Light Fixture Problem

Old 10-31-06, 03:39 PM
Lightbulb Light Fixture Problem

Hello Everybody!

I've recently been having a problem with a light fixture which is over our kitchen sink. About a month ago, the lightbulb blew out in it. But it didn't just blow out, the bulb exploded. Ok, fine. Replaced the bulb. About two weeks ago, I re-wired all of my kitchen light fixtures. The two fixtures plus the exhaust fan are on a single 15-amp circuit, 14ga wire. I triple checked my work, I'm very confident that I wired everything correctly. Now, this evening, the bulb, in the same fixture blew again - bright blue flash, then the breaker tripped. The fixture in question is rated for 60W bulb, but I put 40's in instead because it gets too hot with the 60s.

I am fairly sure that this fixture is bad, although I haven't tested it for continuity / short-age. Do you think I'm on to something?

Tell me what you think and / or if you need more info! Any input is appreciated greatly!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-06, 04:00 PM
I would say you probably are on to something. If that is the only fixture affected, and the wiring is correct, sounds like the fixture.

Old 10-31-06, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Agreed, save your time, Buy a new fixture.

Old 11-01-06, 04:16 AM
hot fixture

If as you say there is a lot of heat generated even with a 60w bulb, then for some reason the fixture does a poor job in dissipating heat. If you have not already changed the fixture, try a cooler running fluorescent bulb replacement.

Old 11-01-06, 04:59 AM
hello,

I would also suggest you replace the light, keep an eye on the situation as it could possibly lead to other issues.

if you start to notice other like issues in the house it could be an issue with the POCO.....stay on top of it but most certainly replace the fixture and see what happens.

At this point I would not even consider replacement of the bulb with a FLOUR.....I would simply replace the fixture in my opinion.

Old 11-01-06, 06:54 AM
Tested Fixture

Thank you all for your posts...

So, I took the fixture down and tested it. No continuity exists between hot & neutral, or hot & ground. I'm kind of stumpped here. I will still replace the fixture, but could it still be the problem if my above tests indicated that there was no problem, and could this be a condition that exists only with time & heat?

Again, your replies are very much appreciated!

Old 11-01-06, 07:31 AM
Expecting to find a dead short would be like expecting to find a note at the scene of the crime saying "I am the criminal, my name is…".

If a dead short existed the light would immediately trip the circuit breaker every time it was turned on. The problem with the light fixture, if any, is that there is a loose connection causing heat to build up. Wires contract and expand with heat. When enough heat builds up a short occurs.

You should be looking for a loose connection and/or for signs of scorching, heat build up etc.

Old 11-01-06, 08:28 AM
Actually....

I checked the switch where the hot for the fixture hooks up. The wire was in fact scortched. I should have put this in my previous reply. I was suspecting this because the switch is a combo 3-in-1... Takes up a lot of room in the box, etc. I made sure when I re-wired the switch to tape around the switch terminals so that the terminal screws wouldn't short with the box . . .

What do you think?

Old 11-01-06, 01:08 PM
Anybody out there?

Old 11-01-06, 02:50 PM
A short, hot to ground in that switch box should not make your bulb blow.

What else is in the swith box. What else is on when the lights blow?

I think you somehow have a mistake in your wiring.

Old 11-01-06, 03:39 PM
In the box...

Okay, so there are a few things in this box. In fact, it is almost at complete fill. Here is what goes through the box.

-Hot for 2 lights fixtures and exhaust fan (3 wires)
-Neutral for 2 light fixtures plus exhaust fan (1 wire)(neutrals are all wired together in fixture, then 1 neutral to switchbox.)
-Hot and neutral for bathroom (2)
-Hot and neutral for spare bedroom (2)
-Switched hot back from bathroom for light fixture in bathroom (1)

Total of 9, 14ga wires = 18 cu in / 21 cu in. box.

Spare bedroom is seperate and only passes through the box. It is on its own 15-amp circiut. Bathroom plus kitchen light fixtures are on same circuit. All wire is new. I pulled everything about three weeks ago, and last night was the first trouble I've had with it. I did pull the switch out to make sure all of the wiring was correct and it was. I can't see where there could be something wrong, unless something happened when I pulled the wire, perhaps some of it got knicked - even so, isn't this highly unlikely.

Does the scortched wire on the switched hot terminal for the fixture point to anything? The only other item that was on I think was the other kitchen light fixture.

What do you think?

Old 11-01-06, 04:01 PM
With all of those circuits going through that box, I am thinking that somehow the lights that keep blowing are wired in series with another load.

It is when that other load is on, that the bulbs blow.

This could be due to a wiring mistake, or as you said because of a nick in the wires.

I suspect the wiring mistake (no offence)

Old 11-01-06, 04:04 PM
What if it turns out though that the wiring is not goofed?

Old 11-01-06, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you verified with a voltage tester that you are getting 120V line-to-ground for each leg and 240V line-to-line in the panel box? Perhaps you have a neutral failure which is causing one of your hot legs to go high. This would cause bulbs on that leg to get abnormally hot.

> I am thinking that somehow the lights that keep blowing are wired
> in series with another load.

I think this would actually extend bulb life by reducing the current through the bulb and therefore the heat. Although you could be on to something; the bulb may be getting 240V through some accidental interconnection in that j-box.

Old 11-03-06, 10:32 AM
Wink Tested Everything

Hello Everybody! So I did a test on everything. Between hot and ground, no continuity. Between hot and neutral, no continuity. So I have confirmed that there are not any wires crossed, nothing has gotten nicked. (I thought I had something at first - but it turns out I was reading light bulb resistance because I had left a switch in the on position).

I have replaced the fixture with a new single bulb 60Watt globe. Addtionally, I have used a 13Watt CFL instead of a 60Watt Incandescent. Runs very cool - I like it. I am going to say this was a bad fixture. But I am glad that I checked all of my work. It's good to know that I did all of it right.

Thank you all for your help / advise, much appreciated!