Neutral and Ground Buss Bars again.

Old 11-02-06, 03:01 AM
Neutral and Ground Buss Bars again.

Hi-
I was reading in a recent thread about neutrals and grounds and the number of wires per terminal on neutrals and grounds. My main panel has the neutral and ground bus bonded as required. However, on the neutral bus there is one terminal upon which there are two neutral wires. This is a no-no. My question is this: My I take one of those neutrals and connect it to an unused terminal on the ground bus, or do I need to add on an additional neutral bus to my main panel. There are still plenty of unused terminals on my ground bus, but none on my neutral bus. This is due to part of my house still has old NM wiring without ground. Thanks for helping me to beat a dead horse!
Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 03:35 AM
In a main panel, Neut and gnd busses are connected together, so yes you could use the gnd buss, but check to make sure they are connected. In a sub panel, N/G are seperated. But there are normally as many neut connections as there are breaker slots in a panel, how many circuti do you have??

Old 11-02-06, 04:01 AM
I have 35 breakers used in a 40 slot panel. I am not anywhere near home now. I am on a trip in europe. I just remember my neutral buss being full and the bonded ground buss having at least 6 empty terminal connections. I gotta look at this again when I get home. Now you got me thinking. I don't have any tandem breakers installed either.