Flood Light Mounting

Old 11-02-06, 05:56 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flood Light Mounting

Hello all,

I'd like to know the proper way to install a electrical box for mounting a flood/motion light fixture to the side of a barn. I took apart the one mounted on the side of the house, and found it to be contrary to the breif wiring book that I have (cut hole the OD of box and mount box flush with siding).

The way the electrician did it on the house seems better (because there is less of a hole in the house, and if the gasket fails, water will not come into the house): Mount the box against the inside of the siding, and cut a small 1" hole just to get wires/nuts through to the outside. Then, when you mount the fixture to the siding, all is tight. My observation is that, technically, you have combustable material (wood siding) inside (between) the electrical box and fixture base.

Question: Is it acceptable to mount a outdoor fixture against the siding this way (box / siding / fixture), or is the box REQUIRED to be completely through the siding (box / fixture)???

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 06:03 AM
R
Either way is allowed by code, as long as properly done.

Old 11-02-06, 07:50 AM
L
Great,

I just took apart the outside sconce light fixture off the side of the front door. The wires just run out a hole in the wall WITH NO BOX, inside or out, directly to the fixture.

Is this also OK (code)?? Are all these methods OK??? Why so inconsistent???

Thanks for your patience.

Old 11-02-06, 08:06 AM
R
If the light fixture itself has an integrated box then no additional box is needed. I have seen flood lights with and without boxes.