Wiring a dryer

Old 11-02-06, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a dryer

Should the ground be insulated when wiring a dryer outlet? I made the mistake of hiring somebody to wire and plumb the washing machine and dryer hookups because I was laid up from knee surgery and couldn't get into the crawl-space. Anyhow, I was replacing the dryer outlet (contractors used 4 prong outlet, dryer only has three) when I noticed that the wiring that was used was only three strand (for a four prong outlet?!?!?), and that the ground wasn't insulated. Just black, white and bare copper, rather than black, white, and red. After doing a bit of research, it looks like the bare copper should go where the white wire would normally go.

Of course, I discovered this after the walls have been finished, so it is going to be a PITA to fix this if it wasn't done right. Is this going to be a problem, or is this going to work and be safe as it is? I have looked this circuit up in two seperate books, and both say that I should use four strand insulated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-06, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Code requires a 30 amp four wire circuit using 10/3 G copper for new installations. There should have been a cable that had Black, red, white and a bare copper ground. The ground is not required to be insulated.

Can you call them back and let them deal with their mistake?

Roger

Old 11-02-06, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Roger

Can you call them back and let them deal with their mistake?

Roger
I probably will, except for the fact that they will now have to tear into the wall to get at the wiring. This would be the second callback for this project. They also messed up my HVAC vents by not routing the drain line around them. I guess they figured that I was just a gimp and wouldn't notice. The supervisor of this crew knows his business, but he often sends men out unsupervised.

Old 11-02-06, 11:47 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
Did they pull in a new cable or was the three wire existing. If it was existing then they should have just installed a three prong receptacle and made the dryer match it.
You said the dryer was three prong already. How does it plug into the four prong receptacle?

Old 11-02-06, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by joed
Did they pull in a new cable or was the three wire existing. If it was existing then they should have just installed a three prong receptacle and made the dryer match it.
You said the dryer was three prong already. How does it plug into the four prong receptacle?
The work is being done in a new addition. New cable was pulled before the drywall was hung. I just didn't check their work closely enough before enclosing the walls.

Old 11-02-06, 04:43 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
Then it is a code violation and will not pass when the inspector comes. He should have come before the drywall was up to inspect the rough work.