Dimmer switch to ceiling fan lights

Old 11-03-06, 10:12 AM
Dimmer switch to ceiling fan lights

I thought it would be neat to install a dimmer switch to my ceiling fan lights. I currently have, inside the ceiling fan box, black, blue and black twisted together, white to white and grounds to ground. Here's how I'd do the switch...
Add new length of wire to existing power source wire (black, white, ground) in attic inside junction box. Run the new length of wire to the new dimmer switch in wall. Add yet another length of wire to go up to the fan. At the switch, attach the 2 new lengths of wire - black in the screws, twist ground to ground and twist whites together. From the switch run the new second length of wire to the ceiling fan box. Attach the new wire: black to blue (light wire), white to the other 2 whites and grounds all together. My question is, does this sound right? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-06, 10:20 AM
You only need the cable from the fan to the switch. The extra cable from the power source is not needed. You already have a power source at the fan.

At the fan disconenct the blue wire from the other two black wires. Connect the new cable white to the black wires. Color the white wire black with a marker or tape. Connect the new cable black to the blue fan wire.
At the dimmer connect the black and white to the two dimmer wires. Color the white wire black with a marker or tape.
Connect all the grounds together in all the boxes.

Old 11-03-06, 01:45 PM
joed-

Thanks for the explanation! This makes sense. In fact, doing it this way, one could easily test the switch before installing it inside the wall.