Why won't it come on...

Old 11-03-06, 09:13 PM
Why won't it come on...

I had a ceiling fixture that I changed into a hanging ceiling fixture (a very small one). I initially hooked up white/white, black/black and grounded the fixture (not necessarily the colors but you know what I mean, right). It initially tripped due to a wire not being completely wrapped with tape. I wrapped the wire and all was good. Now it won't come on. What else could it be??? The connections are right... please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 03:03 AM
I would first determine whether you are getting power to the fixture. Do you have an AC tester? If not, you can get one at Wal-Mart or a hardware store. There are inexpensive ones for less than $5 that have a small test light. When you have one, you touch one end to the incoming white wire and the other to the incoming black wire while the power is on. The test light will light if you are getting power.

The causes for your problem that come to mind first are:
- Bad fixture (the bulb in the new fixture may be bad)
- Bad connections (wires in the light's electrical box that should be connected are not; could have come loose when pushing wires back into box)
- Bad breaker
- GFCI has tripped (could be the light is on a GFCI circuit and the GFCI has tripped)

Good luck!

Old 11-04-06, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My first thought is... Do you have wire nuts on the splice or just tape? You need wire nuts.
Then I would agree, the breaker may have tripped or a GFCI.

Have to ask. Did you connect the new fixture EXACTLY as the old was? Is it on a switch? Some times we make more of things than they really are.

*(not necessarily the colors but you know what I mean, right)*

This could be very important, In some cases.

Old 11-04-06, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
My first thought is... Do you have wire nuts on the splice or just tape? You need wire nuts.
Then I would agree, the breaker may have tripped or a GFCI.

Have to ask. Did you connect the new fixture EXACTLY as the old was? Is it on a switch? Some times we make more of things than they really are.

*(not necessarily the colors but you know what I mean, right)*

This could be very important, In some cases.
yes I used wire nuts. I installed just like the old fixture but the wiring is very old and when I intially hooked it up and turned the power back on it blew. I removed the cover and wrapped a wire that was "exposed" but that was it. I have not ran the ac test yet. I was priming my basement and taking a break. I will do it in a couple of minutes!

Old 11-04-06, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try re-wireing the fixture, you very well could just have a bad connection there.

If the fixture wires are not colored.. then the wire with the ribs or printing go to the white (neutral).