receptacle spacing in small rooms?

Old 11-03-06, 09:41 PM
Question receptacle spacing in small rooms?

Are there any exceptions to spacing receptacles within twelve feet of each other, based on the square footage of the room?

I have a bk. nook that is 93 s.f. (10x10 basically) with two receptacles sensibly and strategically placed. Strickly enforcing a 12 foot spacing rule and a receptacle for each wall over 2 feet long will create non-essential receptacles. IE: One 9' wall has an exterior door and a window, leaving no real useable space. The other wall is 4 feet long, behind the door when the door is opened, and anything using a receptacle there would be directly in the traffic area of the door. Entries to the D.R. and the kitchen occupy much of this short wall.

Is there an online source for researching/reading the NEC?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 03:03 AM
"Are there any exceptions to spacing receptacles within twelve feet of each other, based on the square footage of the room?"

NO

"Is there an online source for researching/reading the NEC?"

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB

Old 11-04-06, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In a room that small, I can't see the problem with having one or two receptacles that will not get used much by you. Who know what will happen down the road. Is it a big deal to put them in?
I would not sweat having too many, I would sweat not having enough.

Old 11-04-06, 03:58 AM
outlet spacing

ramiron: Why concern yourself with some impersonal standard? Some time ago, I wired a relatives house. We anticipated outlet locations, sensing what will be going on for the future. If we'd used some artificial formula, the occupants would've had extension cords all over. A few years after I wired a club basement with plenty of outlets and lighting, I found that with the addition of computers, audio equipment, various electronic goodies, etc., there were yet more needed. In short, plan ahead for your convenience (that's what they are called, convenience outlets).

Old 11-04-06, 05:35 AM
Thumbs up

Points all well taken, thanks for the input. I was looking at my needs and made location decisions in that small nook based on our needs, traffic pathways, pantry, doors/windows, and real useable space. I will get out the ol' drill, buy some more supplies and go to work.

Thanks for the url for the NEC reading resource.