switching a switch

Old 11-04-06, 12:43 PM
switching a switch

i live in a coop built in the early 1960's and near the entry to every room there is a light switch that controls one or two recepticles in each room. my problem has to do with a double switch that is right inside the apartment's entryway. the lower switch controls a rcepticle along the same wall and the upper switch controls a ceiling light. coming into the switch box from the lower conduit is a brown wire, a white wire and a red wire. the brown wire has a section stripped and is looped around the terminal screw for the upper swicth, left side, and then continues into the upper conduit. the white wire continues from the lower to the upper conduit unbroken. the red wire is connected to the terminal screw on the lower switch, right side. the red wire coming from the upper conduit is connected in the same manner but to the upper switch.

this is what i want to do, if possible1) i would like to do away with the lower switch entirely, leaving the recepticle live and in service. (2) i would like to install a dimmer switch in place of the upper swicth which will run to the newly installed track lights.

any advice you can give me will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 12:55 PM
Remove the switch and the second part of the brown wire. Connect the lower red to the brown and one of the wires on the dimmer switch, and the other dimmer switch wire going to the red wire going up.

Old 11-04-06, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As stated, Disconnet the power. cut and splice the brown wires with the lower red. onto this, connect one wire from the dimmer. the upper red connects to the other wire on dimmer.

Never wire an electronic dimmer with the power on.
The electronics hate that and could be destroyed.