10/3 with ground

Old 11-04-06, 01:10 PM
10/3 with ground

I have BX wiring all throughout my basmenent. I want to install an electric dryer. This will be maybe 15 feet from breaker. How hard is it to install 10/3 bx in breaker panel? What would be the sequence of installation.. I wired outdoor lighting before and I did all the connections BEFORE i connected to the wiring. Would that still apply here? I install the receptacle and run the wiring then install the double breaker!!! would that be alright... any suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If we new your area we could be exact.

Generaly speaking you only need romex (NM) cable.10/3 for a dryer is fine. Make it neat and secure, use the proper connectors on both ends.. you can do it as you described, if your comfortable with that. Then disconnect the main power feed and install the breaker 2-pole 30.
Reinstall cover and turn on.

Remember even with the main OFF, there are still "LIVE" exposed parts in the panel. Be very carefull.

Old 11-04-06, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
If we new your area we could be exact.

Generaly speaking you only need romex (NM) cable.10/3 for a dryer is fine. Make it neat and secure, use the proper connectors on both ends.. you can do it as you described, if your comfortable with that. Then disconnect the main power feed and install the breaker 2-pole 30.
Reinstall cover and turn on.

Remember even with the main OFF, there are still "LIVE" exposed parts in the panel. Be very carefull.
I am in NJ... northern NJ if that helps.

Old 11-04-06, 02:40 PM
The state is fine.Some areas require conduit or armored cable, thats why I asked. You should be fine as described above.

You have bx probably because your house was built in the 50's/60's+-.

Old 11-04-06, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
The state is fine.Some areas require conduit or armored cable, thats why I asked. You should be fine as described above.

You have bx probably because your house was built in the 50's/60's+-.
well the house is older than that but probably "upgraded" in the 50's. this is my first house and I am learning the tricks of the trades.. I have dabbled in carpentry, painting techniques, framing, put up crown moulding and today was plumbing.. boy I am on a roll!!! Thanks for the help... looking at home depot the romex is less than half of the bx wiring... romex it is!!!

Old 11-04-06, 02:49 PM
Wink

Well hurry up!!!! I have a long list up here.

Old 11-04-06, 02:59 PM
of course I am reading my wiring book and had another question, can romex wiring be stapled onto a concrete floor underneath glued down carpet? please try to visualize this with me... or maybe I am high off of the primer

Old 11-04-06, 03:03 PM
Cool

Open a window and get some fresh air !!!!!!!

Under the carpet on a cement floor? NO!

On the ceiling under the concrete with carpet on top of it, yes.
please try to visualize this with me...

Old 11-04-06, 03:10 PM
So do not run it under the carpet... gotcha

Old 11-05-06, 08:39 AM
For all intents an purposes, dealing with the wires in an MC cable is little different than NM-B cable. Ir is runnign and fixing the cable is a bit different, maybe harder.

Old 11-10-06, 01:52 PM
Okay here I go. Have everything I need from my favorite store... HD and I am stuck. Where does the ground go?? I have the 10/3 with ground and hooked it to the receptacle. There is no "screw" for the ground wire on the receptacle. Where does it go? I slid the box onto it and I have no clue what the ground is to - the box ( I know dumb question...) or the receptacle? Where is the screw... or do I add my own screw? Please advise. Most likely I will not hook up until tomorrow because it is getting dark

Old 11-10-06, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you have the wrong receptacle. You should have a four terminal receptacle, not a three terminal one. For a new dryer installation you need a four wire cord/plug and receptacle.

Old 11-10-06, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Sounds like you have the wrong receptacle. You should have a four terminal receptacle, not a three terminal one. For a new dryer installation you need a four wire cord/plug and receptacle.
oooohhh okay!

Old 11-20-06, 09:11 AM
so to make sure im not wrong in a new installation(particularly in virginia)i need to run 10/3 with a ground and use a 4 wire receptacle for the dryer.

Old 11-20-06, 10:19 AM
Yes. In the US all new dryer installations need to be four wire.

Old 11-20-06, 10:26 AM
groovy,thanks