Putting New Plug on Cord

Old 11-05-06, 10:03 AM
Putting New Plug on Cord

Greetings,

I'm trying to put a new plug on my mill/drill machine. I put a new motor on it, as the previous one was burned out. The instructions on the plug I got are lacking, or at least I can't figure them out, so I need some help.

I know where the ground wire goes... that is quite obvious. However, there are two prongs of equal length and width, with one being the neutral and one hot. One of the prongs has a "white" or silver colored finish, while the other is gold, and the screws are also white and gold. The supplied diagram on the plug package doesn't specify if you are looking at the plug from the front (i.e. looking at the prongs) or looking at it from the terminal side (the back). So... I need to know which wire goes to which terminal.

If this isn't enough information, when looking at the plug from the prong side with the ground on top, the scheme is as follows:

Ground on TOP (green, round prong)
Lower left flat prong is silver.
Lower right flat prong is gold.

Finally, I'm assuming the silver one is neutral, but would like some verification before attempting to run this thing...

Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 10:07 AM
plug install

This I guess is for the electrical people. but my understanding is ac is aleternating current. Why would it matter . Somebody help me out with this on.

Old 11-05-06, 10:35 AM
The drill will work either way.

However, the gold terminal/prong is the hot terminal, the silver terminal/prong is the neutral terminal.

Old 11-05-06, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by david_allard65
This I guess is for the electrical people. but my understanding is ac is aleternating current. Why would it matter . Somebody help me out with this on.
While this drill might work either way, be careful with the "won't matter" idea. The hot provides the potential, while the grounded conductor (sometimes "neutral") does not. So mixing them up on a lamp, for example, will energize the sides of the socket instead of the part just down at the very bottom. There are other examples as well, some even more dangerous. Some things are double-insulated, instead of grounded, too, so AC is not as ambiguous as you might think at first.

Old 11-05-06, 10:58 AM
power cords

Thanks Mac. I personal fowwel directions and put the right comman and hot for exp shiny input. so I guess it does matter. thanks

Old 11-05-06, 11:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It does matter. Since you have a ground on this cord and motor, it is not double insulated, and matters more.

Is the new motor wired correctly?

Why not the old cord and new motor? (just asking)

Old 11-05-06, 12:02 PM
Here's the history:

I had the machine wired up for 220v when I got it, and used it for a while before the motor went bad. I have subsequently moved and 220 is no longer available (I want to put in a circuit some time, but for now want to get the mill running). So, I replaced the motor and wired it up as per the diagram. The connections on the motor show two arrows going to 120v source, but neither is differentiated in any way. So, I wired up the hot to the terminal where it previously was. I am using the old cord, however, the old one has a plug for 220v.. and I somewhat hastily removed it, not taking note of which wire went where...

So... to sum it up- New motor, using old cord with new plug put on it...

But now you have me thinking more about it. The motor shows connections 2,4,6 tied together with an arrow to "110v". Also, 1,3,5 are tied with an arrow to "110v". Neither arrow indicates whether the red or black wire should connect to it, just "110v". Reversing the wires on the plug would be exactly the same as reversing these two wire connections, seemingly indicating that there isn't a definite preference for which set of connections that hot goes to and which neutral goes too. Unfortunately, this is one of those Taiwanese import mill/drill machines so the instructions are somewhat lacking... or totally incorrect in places. I totally rebuilt the mill, and am quite confident in my mechanical abilities, but don't know much at all about electrics.

Thanks for the advice.