splice in grounding conductor OK or not??

Old 11-05-06, 11:38 AM
splice in grounding conductor OK or not??

In my remodel, the new meterhead and disconnect is about 50 feet away from the existing old disconnect.

Is it OK to splice the new ground conductor to the old (saving a LOT of #4), or must I have an unbroken run from the new disconnect to the cold water pipe?

Just not sure, even with good copper U-clamps, that the connection is "approved."

Your advice is solicited (and thanks for the earlier comments on my other question.)

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-06, 12:08 PM
You can splice the wire if you buy irreversable connections, or use cad weld.

Go to the supply house and buy crimp type butt splices, and ask if you can borrow a crimper. Or see if they have a different kind of irreversable connector. You probably do not want to get into cad welding.

Old 11-05-06, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is a water bond it can be spliced. If it is a connection to a water pipe electrode it cannot.

What is the water pipe entering the house? Plastic or metal?

Old 11-06-06, 03:35 AM
250.64 (c) (1)

Old 11-06-06, 03:11 PM
250.64(C)

(C) Continuous. The grounding electrode conductor shall
be installed in one continuous length without a splice or
joint,unless spliced only by irreversible compression-type
connectors listed for the purpose or by the exothermic
welding process.

If the intent is for the bonding....which I do not believe your question is about.......but if it was.....then yes it does not have to be continuous in that case.......but must tie together to form the bonding requirement.

Old 11-06-06, 03:15 PM
Oh...I should probably add to ensure you are using a 4-Wire cable to the now SUB-PANEL since your disconnect is the main disconnect located near the meter itself.

Also make sure your connection to the "METAL" water pipe if that is the case...is within 5' of entering the building...otherwise you should not use it and TRY to find the location that is within 5' of entering the dwelling.

Old 11-06-06, 04:13 PM
The grounding electrode conductor is used to attach the grounding electrode. (if there is a water source this must be one) to the panel.

The article and section I quoted states that it can be spliced.

What part of this is confusing???

If the water enters the house in plastic pipe then turns metal, then you can bond it anywhere you want and splice that wire with wirenuts.

Old 11-06-06, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the responses, fellas.

The water pipe is CU and the grounding clamp is right at the house--runs to the existing disconnect on the side of the garage.

New disconnect will be about 50 ft or so away from the old disconnect.

Since the old disconnect box will only be a J-box in the new setup, I was hoping to just start there, splice into the existing ground wire, and run the new ground wire back to the new Main disconnect point.

Old 11-07-06, 01:43 PM
This is legal if you buy irreversable splices that are rated for grounding electrodes. You will need to visit an electrical supply house to find them, and you will need to buy or use there crimping tool.