Multiple fixtures on 1 switch

Old 11-06-06, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple fixtures on 1 switch

OK here is what I have. 2 light fixtures and 1 switch to power both lights. The power goes into the first light and to the second light. My question is, how does the switch get wired in? Again, the power goes to the light first.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 07:11 PM
To do this you will need three conductor wire plus ground between the lights. Do you have this?

Old 11-06-06, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You need to provide some more information. Is this a new installation or a reconfiguration of existing wiring? Tell us exactly what cables you have in each box, where they come from and where they go to. Does power need to continue on after light 2, or is it the end of the cable run?

Old 11-06-06, 07:17 PM
OK some more info. There used to be one light, and I added a second. The way it was wired, the power went directly to the light, and the switch was wired to the light. I want to add a second light to that circuit, at the end of the run. As far as what wires I have in the box, I can rewire whatever I need as it is all accessible from above.

Old 11-06-06, 07:28 PM
Leave the original wiring intact, and run a wire from the first light to the second. Wire the second light in parallel to the first one.

Old 11-06-06, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Leave the original wiring intact, and run a wire from the first light to the second. Wire the second light in parallel to the first one.
OK thats where it all went wrong! When I wired it up how I thought made sense, I flipped the breaker back on. The lights came on, but the switch was off. When I flipped the switch on, the breaker blew. I know I am close with this one...

Old 11-06-06, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Okay..

At light 1:
Wirenut the black wire from the power feed to the white wire heading to the switch. Color in an inch or two of the white wire to the switch with a red sharpie marker to indicate its use as a switched hot.

Wirenut the black wire from light1, the black wire heading off to light2, and the black wire returning from the switch together.

Wirenut the white wire from light1, the white wire from light2, and the white wire from the power feed together.

Wirenut all grounds together.

At light 2:
Black to black, white to white, ground to ground.

At the switch:
White to one pole of the switch, black to the other (doesn't matter which), ground to the green screw. Color in a few inches of the white wire with the red sharpie.

Old 11-07-06, 05:40 AM
Thanks!

I knew the problem was with the switch wire. Looks like I just had the black.white switched. Thanks for the info, I will give that a go tonight. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 11-07-06, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by ChipJ29
I knew the problem was with the switch wire. Looks like I just had the black.white switched. Thanks for the info, I will give that a go tonight. I will let you know how it goes.
Well, I am sad to report that I had no success. I thought I had wired it right, flipped the breaker, and the lights did not come on. The good news is the breaker didn't trip. The bad news is the lights didn't work. I think it is time to call my electrician friend to give me a hand.

Old 11-08-06, 06:08 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
this is how it needs to be.
Power in black wire to the switch white wire.
Power in white wire to the fixture white and white to fixture two.
Switch black wire the fixture black and the black to fixture two.

Old 11-08-06, 08:04 AM
joe, I am reasonably sure that is how I had it. However, I will give it another try tonight. I was pretty tired last night, and gave up after one try. Thanks!