Electric Baseboard Heater

Old 11-06-06, 07:13 PM
Question Electric Baseboard Heater

Hi all,

I just installed a new 2000 W (240 V) electric baseboard heater on a 20 A circuit (12 AWG wire). When the thermostat engages, there is a constant humming noise at both ends of it (similar to a fluorescent fixture). Is this a problem?

I know this is a lot of juice, but I just wanted to make sure that the humming wasn't an indication of arcing. None of my other baseboard heaters hum - even the older, similar-sized one in another room.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 06:58 PM
If you have a meter, amp out the load. Is the heater drawing within it's labeled draw?

Old 11-08-06, 05:40 AM
heater hum

No harm in checking the current draw, but I have also noticed a hum on some high-current appliances. I've notice hum on electic toasters and broilers, etc. It seems that with high currents passing in heating elements some mechanical vibration can occur, much as a voice coil in a speaker reacts.

Old 11-08-06, 08:48 AM
Read the paperwork that came with the heater. It may mention something about the humming.

I bought a 2500 watt/240 volt Cadet BB heater and it hummed. Returned it for another BB heat and guess what? It hums too. I can't stand to hear the hum but it doesn't bother my wife.

I checked the amp draw on both them and it was correct.

Suggest taking it back and getting another one.

Old 11-08-06, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by volts
No harm in checking the current draw, but I have also noticed a hum on some high-current appliances. I've notice hum on electic toasters and broilers, etc. It seems that with high currents passing in heating elements some mechanical vibration can occur, much as a voice coil in a speaker reacts.
It is the vibration that is causing it to hum. I tightened it to the wall and it stopped. Thanks!