trying to find combo meterhead and disconnect

Old 11-06-06, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trying to find combo meterhead and disconnect

Hi:

Planning on a remodel, and I have to change/move my existing meterhead and 125A
main disconnect(flush mount).
For other reasons, I need to leave the existing flush mount box in place and get a new one.

However, in my area of northern California, it is difficult to find any combination of
only a meterhead and a mian disconnect (without the rest of the panel).
Thought I might have found one with Murray, but can't find the old info.

Sure would appreciate a lead on a mfgr of a flush-mount combo meterhead and 125A disconnect.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 06:11 PM
I think you may be a little confuzzled. The weather head is where your service cables join the PoCo's drop. The meterbase / service disconnect combo is what i believe you mean .

Old 11-08-06, 03:23 PM
OK Burke:

Sorry for using the wrong terminology.

So I am still looking for a flush-mount combo meterbase and 125A disconnect.

Suggestions cheerily accepted!

Old 11-08-06, 10:26 PM
billybard,

Sounds like a mobile home hookup to me. Meter base a couple of duplex outlets and a plug in for the mbile home pigtail all in one unit.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-10-06 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-09-06, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by billybard
Hi:
Sure would appreciate a lead on a mfgr of a flush-mount combo meterhead and 125A disconnect.

Thanks,
Before you buy you need to check with the utility. Some won't install their meter if the socket is not approved. Check page 39 at this site.
http://www.milbankmfg.com/Products/Catalogs/CatalogFiles/PDF/Standard%20Products%2008%2097.pdf
When you need something check EBay or google.

Old 11-09-06, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the lead.

No, this is not a mobile home setup. My house is a single story residence, and the original combo meter base and main disconnect was a Zinsco--hard to find anymore.

Anybody know of something similar with Square D, GE or Murray??

Old 11-10-06, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I just googled meter base/disconnect and found one on Ebay for $45. Look at item 220045370111 . Just one of many.

Old 11-10-06, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Larry.

I'll go take a look.

Cheers,

Old 11-11-06, 06:27 PM
Hi Wareagle:

Thanks for the lead on Milbank--I didn't know about them.

Took a look at p. 39 and also 38 and 42.

What I could really use is a combo with a main disconnect,
but with the lugs to feed two sub-panels (main one for house and another one for the shop).

Gotta admit I'm a bit confused by the two models--one being for 4-branch and one being for 4-parallel. I think of all breakers being in parallel, but feeding branch circuits.

Guess you need to enlighten this old fart.

Thanks for your tutilage.

Do these panels provide a main disconnect (the whole shebang) and then separate breakers for the loads (sub-panels), or is it possible to get a panel with two main disconnects,(e.g., a 200A and a 100A). Sorry if this is confusing.

Cheers,

Old 11-12-06, 06:08 PM
Meter mains assembly

What you seem to be looking for is Combination Service Entrance Devices (CSEDs) which are also called meter mains assemblies. The last one that I installed was a Square D. In order to have both a two hundred and a one hundred ampere breaker in parallel in the same assembly you would need to buy a four hundred ampere assembly. It would probably be more cost effective to build a back board and mount two weather proof disconnects on it with one for the house and one for the other building. A service disconnecting means may consist of up to six separate disconnects. If the service calculation comes out to less then two hundred amperes the meter enclosure will cost a lot less than if you cross over into the four hundred ampere range which is the next step up. In some states the utility must provide residential meter enclosures up to a certain amperage but after that level you have to provide your own.

Square D has theirs listed at <http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/01/17301014.html>

Old 11-12-06, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

*some states the utility must provide residential meter enclosures up to a certain amperage *

Thats the "bomb" !!!
'round here, we get power (after inspection) in a timely fasion we're HAPPY!!

Old 11-12-06, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
*some states the utility must provide residential meter enclosures up to a certain amperage *

Thats the "bomb" !!!
'round here, we get power (after inspection) in a timely fasion we're HAPPY!!
That we don't get. I had one customer wait a year for cut over while they were operating their new four hundred ampere service's loads on a 150 ampere service lateral.

Old 11-12-06, 07:39 PM
Thanks Hornetd (and others)

Well, I sure don't want to mess with a 400A service.

Next question would be if it is possible to get a main disconnect with "two lugs, each leg" so that I can feed both the house sub-panel and the shop sub-panel from a single main disconnect.

Right now my house is Illegal (I think) cuz both panels are fed from the main disconect but with both cables being under one lug on each leg. (That's the way it was when I bought the house; it weren't me, guys.)

Cheers,

Old 11-13-06, 06:23 AM
Your situation is not that bad.

billybard
You do not have to have a four hundred ampere service to have two separate disconnects unless you have to have them in the same piece of equipment. You can get a main disconnect with double barreled lugs but you don't need one. A two hundred ampere service can consist of up to six separate disconnects supplied from the same meter. The meter's output gets wired into a "trough" which is a weather proof wireway that has room in it for all of the needed taps. The two hundred ampere conductors go to the two hundred ampere disconnect for the house. Inside the trough these conductors are tapped for the conductors that will supply the one hundred ampere disconnect for your garage. Yes that is correct! A service can consist of multiple disconnects that total more than ampacity of the service conductors. I realize that this is counterintuitive. The size of the service conductors, and consequently the meter enclosure, is governed by the size of the calculated load rather than by the total of multiple main breakers. On residential property the meter can supply service entry conductors to the home and to a separate outbuilding. The disconnecting means for each building can still be located at the building served rather than at the meter. Alternatively you can have the meter at the house and still run a service lateral to the garage or shop from it without having any disconnect for it at the house. The US NEC specifically permits this and since each building must have a building disconnecting means any way this approach lowers your cost.

It is a good idea to have the service disconnecting means for both buildings remote from the buildings but that will add cost. The advantage is that either building can be shut down in an emergency without affecting the other building. If you are on well water you can have an additional disconnect for the well pump and it can be located remote from the others. This is to assure that the well water will be available for first aid fire fighting until help reaches you. That is generally only done at rural properties but the code does not make such a distinction.

Old 11-13-06, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by billybard
Hi Wareagle:
Thanks for the lead on Milbank--I didn't know about them.
Took a look at p. 39 and also 38 and 42.
What I could really use is a combo with a main disconnect,
but with the lugs to feed two sub-panels (main one for house and another one for the shop).
Gotta admit I'm a bit confused by the two models--one being for 4-branch and one being for 4-parallel. I think of all breakers being in parallel, but feeding branch circuits.
Cheers,
I think that what you have is a meter panel with breakers in the section below. You have 4 breakers. One can be the main to the house and one to the shop. The chart below shows breakers from 125 to 200 amps.

Copied from Milbank Spec Sheet

PLUG-IN BREAKER COMPATIBILITY CHART
AMPS MILBANK CUTTLER-HAMMER
WESTINGHOUSE, ITE ,MURRAY
CROUSE-HINDS G.E. SQ-D
125-200 — HQP / WBJ — MD Q LINE —
≤ 125 TYPE UCP QUICKLAG P /
HQP QP MP Q LINE HOMELINE

Old 11-13-06, 06:46 PM
Thanks Wareagle:

Looks like I am finally getting closer to what I need.

Cheers,