switch loop length / furnace circuit wiring

Old 11-06-06, 09:49 PM
ddr
switch loop length / furnace circuit wiring

I was wondering if there is any code that limits the length of a switch loop and/or that states that furnace wiring canít involve a switch loop:

My service panel and furnace (gas heat) are both on the right side of my basement but in opposite corners (service in front, furnace in rear, about 30í apart). Currently the electric for the furnace runs out the service panel, up through the front of the right side first floor wall to a crawl space, along the second floor joists to a crawl space in the rear of the house, towards the middle of the house to the Emergency Off switch at the top of the stairs to the basement, then from the switch back along the crawl space, and down through the rear of the right side first floor wall to the furnace.

The house was built in 1952, so I donít know what was required then, but Iíd like to run the power straight back from the panel to a junction box above the furnace, run 12/2 for a switch loop up to the emergency switch, then continue power from the junction box down to the main shut off switch mounted on the furnace.

The switch loop would be about 30í long. Is this too long for a switch loop?

Does this violate any code as far as wiring a furnace circuit is concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-06, 04:31 AM
Code does not address the length of a switch loop.

Old 11-07-06, 01:59 PM
ddr
Thanks Bob. Just wanted to be sure.