Hot Tub wiring needs

Old 11-08-06, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Tub wiring needs

Need some advice please on wiring up our hot tub. We have it located near our A/C unit under our patio. Is it possible to somehow use the same wiring for both units? Otherwise I would have to run about 100ft of wire to our box and add a gfi breaker in the garage. Now when it comes to electrical wiring I am so unqualified. When responding to this please ask in laymans terms. thank you in advance for any help you can give. Hot tub reads 40amp and is using 8-3 wiring. AC unit has 60amp breaker. Was told to get 50amp gfi and 6-3 wiring if I was going to wire it direct to box. BF

Last edited by bcfetter; 11-08-06 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
> Is it possible to somehow use the same wiring for both units?

Not at all possible.

> Otherwise I would have to run about 100ft of wire to our
> box and add a gfi breaker in the garage.

That is the only way, assuming your garage panel and service have the available capacity required for a spa.

> Now when it comes to electrical wiring I am so
> unqualified. When responding to this please ask
> in laymans terms.

I think you should hire an electrician to wire the hot tub. Please don't take this as insulting, but a hot tub is probably the most complicated electrical installation in a residential setting; it is not a "basic" job and is more realistically "high-intermediate" or "advanced". You are admittedly unqualified, and every detail is important when you put heaters, motors, and lights into a tub of water with your family.

> Hot tub reads 40amp and is using 8-3 wiring. AC unit
> has 60amp breaker. Was told to get 50amp gfi and
> 6-3 wiring if I was going to wire it direct to box.

The 8-3 and 6-3 are both illegal for an outdoor hot tub. 6-3 can be used to feed the disconnect, but THWN in conduit must be used to connect the tub to the disconnect.

> wire it direct to box

Also not legal. The hot tub must have disconnect within line-of-sight.

> Hot tub reads 40amp

Is this from the installation manual or nameplate? There should be some more information than that.

Old 11-08-06, 11:44 AM
Ben, thanks for information. I have 2 electricians giving me a bid on this now. Certainly would not attempt myself. Both did not mention the THWN.(don't know what that is). Mentioned getting the 6-3 wire, pvc piping, pvc lb, and that was pretty much it. When you say disconnect within line-of-sight do you mean a switch near the hot tub? They didn't mention that either. Oh, I read that information off the nameplate.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-08-06 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post directly above yours
Old 11-08-06, 12:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
> Both did not mention the THWN. (don't know what that is).

THWN is a type of waterproof wire used inside conduit. The electrician would probably just say, "wiring in PVC conduit," without mentioning the specific type.

> Mentioned getting the 6-3 wire, pvc piping, pvc lb, and
> that was pretty much it.

The 6-3 is allowed for the portion of the circuit that runs inside the house from the panel to the outside wall near the hot tub. At the exterior wall, the 6-3 must transition to THWN wire in conduit. The changeover is usually made inside the disconnect box if it is an appropriate distance from the tub.

> When you say disconnect within line-of-sight do you mean
> a switch near the hot tub? They didn't mention that either.

Yes, the disconnect is a safety switch to cut power to the tub; it is required to be there to prevent someone from accidentally turning on power at the breaker in the garage when a serviceman has his hands in the machinery of the tub. You could ask each electrician where they intend to place the disconnect. It must be visible from the tub and usually between 5' and 50' from the tub, although local rules vary quite a bit on this distance. Sometimes the GFCI is built into the disconnect switch instead of having a GFCI breaker in the main panel.

> Oh, I read that information off the nameplate.

If the tub only requires a 40A feed, then 8-3 may be the proper wire instead of 6-3; however the distance to the panel (or manufacturer's instructions) could warrant an upsize to 6-3. You could ask about this to potentially save some money on the wire.

Old 11-08-06, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

BCFETTER; Welcome to the forum.

Great questions,This is part of it too. Not only doing it yourself, But finding the right questions to ask.

Alot of specifics that the electricians didn't mention are "givens" in the trade. Unfortunately, for some it is second nature and we forget to mention the details.
This is a good site to get them. Remember though, There are generic answers here. These are based on a NATIONAL code. As stated there are MANY local codes that supercede this.
With your situation it is important that this is done right, so any questions just ask.
Knowing your state would be VERY helpfull,We are from all over the country,Locals can help alot.

Good luck and post back.