Running wire through floor joists.

Old 11-08-06, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running wire through floor joists.

Although not technically an electrical question, it does pertain to electrical installation more than any other forum, so I will go ahead and post this here.

I remember reading somewhere concerning rules about drilling though floor joists, but I can't find it anymore. What rules should I follow when drilling through joists? I try to drill my holes pretty much center of the joist height, but I thought I read somewhere about no holes in the center third of the joist length.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Vertically, holes should always be inside the middle 1/3 of the joist, and hole diameter should never exceed 1/3 of the actual (not lumber dimensional) height of the joist.

Horizontally, holes may be anywhere along the joist except within 2" of the supported ends. Notching is not allowed in the middle third of the span, but holes are.

Old 11-08-06, 08:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the application-location of the wire install?
In a certain applicatio/location, You may not have to drill at all.

Old 11-08-06, 08:33 PM
Code places specific restrictions on where you can drill/notch. Generally speaking, the smaller the hole, the better. And the closer to the center of the joist, the better. Beams stiffen as the cube of the thickness of the beam- cutting a hole twice as big weakens it 8x! But when the hole is in the center and relatively small (1/2" or so), the amount it weakens the joist or beam is completely insignificant- less than 1% of the strength. Center-boring a 1/3 hole weakens it by only a surprising 4%.

When the hole is drilled near the edge, it has a very significant impact- drilling a 1/2" hole in the center weakens a 2x4 by .3%, but drilling that same 1/2" hole near the edge weakens it by almost 40%!

When a joist is directly over a load-bearing wall, this equation changes, as the joist is acting like a very short stud, and any hole weakens it directly proportinate to the size, plus stress concentration factors- drilling a hole 1/3 the size of the stud weakens it by about half.

Old 11-09-06, 05:16 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Drilling joists

You are correct on the lengthwise limit. Do not drill in the center 1/3 of the length of the joist.

Old 11-09-06, 12:10 PM
Local codes may vary, but typically, for dimensional lumber:

As Ben said, for boring or drilling the hole must be at least 2 inches from the top or bottom edge of the joist. The diameter of the hole cannot be more than 1/3 of the joist depth. The hole can be anywhere along the joist’s span, or length.

It is notches that cannot be in the middle 1/3 of the joist’s span.

For engineered joists:

Always follow the manufacturer’s specifications.
Do not notch or bore the top or bottom chords.
Typically, most have perforated knockouts and holes smaller than 1 ˝ inches in diameter can be placed anywhere along the span. Larger holes should be placed closer to the center of the span.

Old 11-09-06, 07:05 PM
Gen
One more thing--holes must be at least 2" apart from each other.

Old 09-27-08, 06:49 AM
These posts were helpful but I have a few specific questions.

I am looking to run 12 NM Romex cables from a subpanel in my basement workroom to the finished areas of my basement. To do this I need to run the cables through nine 1.5"x11" floor joists that are 16 ft. long. The cable run would be about 12 ft.

Currently I have one 1.5" hole drilled in the middle of the 16 foot long joists. The holes are drilled about 4-5" from the bottom of the joist.

Can I safely drill 2 more 1.5" holes in the joists to run the cable? I assume the holes need to be no closer than 2" apart and 4-5" from the bottom of the joist.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-08, 07:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Are your joist dimensional lumber like a 2x10 or are they engineered joists?

Old 09-27-08, 10:06 AM
They are not engineered. They are 2 x 12's, or 1.5 x 11.25.

Old 09-27-08, 12:13 PM
How many cable you are plan to bring in ??

Normally with 1 inch hole you can bring in many as 3 or 4 12-2W/G without much issue I know you can stuff more but from my past experince 4 is about the top you can pull in techiallywise yeah you can get more wire in there but not a wise idea anyway.

Just make sure you have stright shot holes so the wires can slip in very easy and a nice tip along the way unravail { uncoil } the wire first to make it nice and straight so it will really go in very fast without any kink or something can get ya by suprised.

Normally with dimison standard lumbers you should not have any issuse with the boring the holes as it was descrbing above this comment.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-27-08, 02:06 PM
Yes, as you stated, my plan is to run 3-4 cables (12 and 14's) per hole, but I thought I needed a 1.5" hole to do this. Are you saying a 1" will do the trick?

If so, can I assume it's not a problem drilling the holes 2-3" to the left and right of the existing 1.5" hole and at the same hieght. Does it matter?

Old 09-27-08, 07:39 PM
I been boring holes in resdentiail and commercal/Industrail and done right it will have no issue with it.

The situation you have there you will have no issue with that set up.

Yes you can bore a hole on common lumber either side as long you are not close to the end of the board itself and the lumber itself is good shape no knowen cracks or weak spots at all.

Merci,Marc