Relocating Middle-of-the-run Receptacle


Old 11-08-06, 11:31 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating Middle-of-the-run Receptacle

I am wiring a LCD TV and installing a floating shelf below it to conceal the AV cables including power cords. The look we are after is a clean look with only two things showing on the wall, the TV and the shelf, nothing else.

I want to relocate the only receptacle on the wall 3ft. to the right from where it is currently located so that it is concealed by a floating box shelf.

Points to note:
- The wall I am working on is an exterior wall with insulation and vapor barrier.
- The circuit this receptacle in on includes 4 other receptacles on the remaining walls and one light fixture.

Upon opening the receptacle in question and doing some exploratory drywall cuts I noticed two 14/2s coming into it. One 14/2 is going to the left and the other to the right. I am worried there may not be enough length on left side of the cable run.

I am looking for advice on how to do this the right way and not violate any codes.

- Can I just extend the shorter left cable run with electrical tape and/or wire nuts and leave it in the wall?

- Can I use a junction box and make it non accessible?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-06, 02:03 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,623
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The answer to both your suggestioins is no. You cannot burry the splice with, or without a box.

You also may be breaking the code by moving the rec. No point allog the wall should be more than six feet from a rec. Again as measured along the baseboard.. If you move one rec 3 feet to the right, then start measuring left, how far is it to the next rec. 12 feet would be max.

I suggest moving the one rec and at the same time adding one to the left where the cable will reach. Then pull a new bit of cable between the two. Be prepaired to do some dry wall patching.
Old 11-09-06, 05:08 AM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 305
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is actually up on the wall high enough for a TV, you could put in a juction box with a cover and hang a picture or something over it, IIRC. I *think* something temporary like that is allowed by code. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If not, why not just leave the other outlet there and run a short section of wire from that one to your new one? If it happens to be in a place where you can easily join it up with the circuit, that works. But it not, just wire it so you aren't breaking the original circuit.
Old 11-09-06, 02:52 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just use the outlet box there as a JB and put a plate on it. It won't be too obtrusive. To do it Without a JB would requite you to replace both the runs that are there.
Old 11-09-06, 03:04 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 18
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suggest a much bigger TV that will conceal the existing outlet and anything else you have done, like exploratory holes !

Seriously, the best suggestion is the one for making the existing receptacle a junction box with solid cover to contain the circuit splice/s, unless on the exterior side of the wall you could provide the access to that junction box (or GFCI recep) with a weatherproof cover. That move will also get you the Rube Goldberg award. (Google it)

Regarding the lack of a properly spaced receptacle, when you get ready to move you could always put a recep back in with a standard recep cover and keep the new recep also.

Good luck.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: