Receptacles just stopped working?

Old 11-11-06, 05:48 AM
cwd
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Receptacles just stopped working?

One day our bathroom receptacle just stopped working. I checked the breakers, all "On". I then noticed another receptacle not working, still all breakers "On". I replaced the receptacles, wires looked good, no shorts that I could see or find, still nothing! I then noticed another receptacle not working a few days later, same drill as above, nothing!! Now yesterday, another receptacle just stopped working, I had used it the day before with no problems. I went through the whole drill as above with the same results, Nothing! This is just wierd!!!
Where does a guy go from here? Do I start replacing the breakers? Is there something I haven't checked? Am I overlooking something very obvious? Is this where a DIY'er needs to call a professional? Do I have gremlins running amuck toying with me? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-06, 06:05 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dead circuits

Sometimes a breaker appears to be "on" when in fact it is tripped. Reset the breakers in question by turning "off" and then "on". If they continue to trip, you have a serious problem which needs attention. Find out what is causing the problem.

Old 11-11-06, 06:09 AM
nap
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the other thing that comes to (my) mind is that the bath (and possibly the others) are controlled by a GFCI receptacle somewhere and this recep is tripped.

An analog voltmeter is inexpensivley purchased so you can actually check for voltage at the breaker and at any receptacles.

Old 11-11-06, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
None of the original failed ones now work either? Are all the dead receptacles on the same circuit? If on the same circuit throw the breaker and examine and redo every connection on still working receptacles or other connections on the circuit checking after each redo to determine if all receptacles now work. If receptacles are backstapped move to side screws. Other connections include pigtails in light and switch boxes.

Old 11-11-06, 06:58 AM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
Tripped GFCI. If the house is older it could be in the garage, basement, any other bathroom, or outside.