Clarify multi-wire w/ GFCI recep.

Old 11-11-06, 09:07 AM
Clarify multi-wire w/ GFCI recep.

Ok so I'm installing a 20A muliti-wire circuit to my garage. I ran 12-3 which will supply lights, a garage door opener and 4 GFCI recepticals. One circuit will be 3 recepticals and the other will be lights, garage door opener and a recep. Now from my understanding, I cannot install one GFCI and use the load side to run to a non-GFCI recep down the line because of the neutral being shared, Correct? Therefor, I will need to install 4 GFCI Receps. correct?

I ask because I just returned from the Big Blue store and the electrician there helping me find some things said that I can still use the load side of the first GFCI, to a non-GFCI recep with no problems. Mulit-wire or not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-06, 09:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you can do this. Splice the neutral. pigtail to the line side of gfci,Place the blk to line side hot. then from the load side to the other 3 rec. Gfci- done.

Now run a 12/2 to door openers and lights/sw. Neutral from the splice, and red to the NON-Gfci loads.
(I picked your colors for you, Sorry).

Make sure the 2 breakers are on seperate phases, (similar to a 2-pole breaker position would look like)

Old 11-11-06, 01:00 PM
What you must do is to separate the circuit into two distinct circuits before first GFCI. This means two runs of 12-2.

You will need two GFCIs. One to start the receptacle run, and another at the receptacle at the end of the run.

Old 11-11-06, 02:22 PM
Racraft caught that you will have a rec. at the end of the NON-Gfci ckt. So you will need 2 GfcI rec.

Or all off of the first one. If that lay out will work.

Bottom line is all rec, (not including door openers) Must be GFCI protected.

Old 11-11-06, 03:21 PM
Ok got it. So I can take two of those GFI receps back. For some reason I thought I would need 4. This was explained to me before that since the neutral wire is shared, daisy chain from the load would cause an imbalance which will keep the GFI tripped. I guess thats not true.

What I have is a junction box where the wire enters the garage. From there my wires will branch out. I have the lights wired and will finish the receps tomorrow.

Is there a max amount of wires that can be twisted together?

Thanks

Old 11-11-06, 03:54 PM
Thumbs up

Is there a max amount of wires that can be twisted together?

Logic & practicality would rule this.Generaly speaking. What you have in the JB should not be an issue. You'll have 3 neutrals 2 blacks and a red and black, then of course the grounds.Thats fine, Unless a rec is going into this box, now that may change things (box fill).

*So I can take two of those GFI receps back.*

Unless you have 2 older ones that you may want to change out. They have come along way.