Wiring Plan for Kitchen Remodel

Old 11-11-06, 11:20 PM
Wiring Plan for Kitchen Remodel

I'll soon be installing new kitchen cabinets, fixtures and appliances, so I'm trying to plan what my wiring requirements will be. The main wall is a standard 8 foot counter with a sink in the middle. There will be a new dishwasher and garbage disposal where there wasn't one before. The refrigerator is on the opposite wall and that is also where I happen to plug in my small microwave. The stove is gas and only needs power for the clock and ignitor. I'm not clear on what needs to be on a dedicated circuit and what, if anything, can be on the same circuit as the GFI receptacles above the counter.

Everything that will require power:

Dishwasher
Disposal
GFI receptacles (one on either side of the sink)
Under cabinet lighting (probably fluorescent)
Refrigerator
wall receptacle for hallway (on the end of the base cabinets)

I was thinking about having a two-gang box on either side of the sink (for two duplex receptacles). Rather thn buying 4 GFI receptacles, should I just get a GFI breaker? (I realize I could get GFI protection for additional receptacles by feeding them off the 'load' side of one GFI receptacle, but I'd also like them all to match.) I'll also need to determine where I want to put switches for the disposal and cabinet lighting.

In the instructions (link below) for the dishwasher, they don't mention using conduit for the electrical wiring--they just show you what area the wiring can come in at. My home wiring book just says to run the 12-2 NM to the appliance's junction box and leave a 3-4 foot loop in the back in case the appliance needs to be pulled out. Does this mean it's OK to just lay it along the floor under the dishwasher?

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Kinston/154427301.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-06, 07:34 AM
You need two GFI served 20 amp small appliance circuits, a 15 amp lighting circuit that can also be used for your under cabinet lights and dedicated circuits for your refrigerator and dishwasher. There has been some discussion here about whether the DW and disposal can be on the same circuit. I would check with your inspector. A 20 amp DW circuit shouldn't have any problem also supplying a disposal.

When planning for outlets, more is better. Code minimums aren't necessarily the best way to go.

Old 11-12-06, 09:17 AM
If your sink is in the middle of that 8 foot space, then you can get away with a single receptacle on either side of the sink, but they need to be on different circuits. Personally, I would go with two separate receptacles on either side.

Old 11-12-06, 09:32 AM
Thanks, guys.

It sounds like I need to run 5 circuits for the kitchen, plus one new one for the bathroom on the other side of the wall. Is there any issue with running six 12-2 NM cables together in between one set of floor joists?

Can anything else be fed off of either of these circuits for the countertop? I still need to feed the wall receptacle near the refrigerator that is NOT for the fridge. I suppose the only thing on the lighting circuit so far would be 2-3 fluorescent fixtures--would that be better?

Originally Posted by racraft
If your sink is in the middle of that 8 foot space, then you can get away with a single receptacle on either side of the sink, but they need to be on different circuits. Personally, I would go with two separate receptacles on either side.
I agree. Right now I just have one with a six plug adapter--coffeee machine, toaster, can opener, blender, etc... I'll either have a two-gang box on either side or I'll see what other ideas they have at the big box store.

Old 11-12-06, 09:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
two GFI served 20 amp small appliance circuits,

These can serve other rec IN the kitchen or breakfast area,Also the gas Range/cook top.
Dedicate a 20A for fridge (if not already there),And the MW.
cord and plug for the DW,20A ckt.
Under counter lights. You can pull 1 #14 (15A light ckt)from each location To a junction box, splice in the feed and switch. This makes a clean and more workable situation in the fixtures themselfs.

Old 11-13-06, 07:00 AM
You can buy "decorator" square outlets that look like a GFI outlet without the buttons if you want everything to match. I personally like having the GFI as close to the potential trip source as possible. While I don't think it is significant, the farther away you get from a GFI, it seems to take just a little longer.

Old 11-13-06, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The kitchen countertops receptacles must have a minimum of (2) 20A GFCI protected circuits total. You may divide these up amongst your locations as you choose. The gas range and countertop microwave can be on these circuits, but not a built-in microwave. These circuits can feed receptacles in the dining areas and pantry areas also. No lighting is allowed on these circuits.

If either the dishwasher or disposal uses more than 10A (unlikely), then you must do dedicated circuits for each. Otherwise, they can share a 20A circuit. Running NM right into the dishwasher j-box is almost always allowed; otherwise, install a receptacle and put a cord-and-plug on the DW.

> Is there any issue with running six 12-2 NM cables
> together in between one set of floor joists

I would run them in 2 groups of 3.

> I still need to feed the wall receptacle near the refrigerator that
> is NOT for the fridge.

I would feed it from one of the 20A small appliance circuits.

Old 11-13-06, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the garbage disposal and dishwasher are Double insulated, Then no cord /plug is required. Most now are so don't worry.

ANY receptacale. In the kitchen,dinning orbreakfast area can come from the small appliance ckt. JUST no lights or other function.

Good rule of thumb; Keep rec.,lights and special purpose (fridge,mw,etc.)seperate. You should be OK.