need help with 'half-grounded' house.


Old 11-12-06, 07:54 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
need help with 'half-grounded' house.

ive got a few circuits in my home that are up to code, in the bathroom, washroom, and kitchen. the rest of the house, however is on a single circuit, and is apparently not grounded. this sucks because there is only one outlet per room, with all my expensive stuff (computers, tv's) using these non-ground outlets.
the receptacles are 3-hole, and there is 3 wire running to them, but somewhere in the attic i believe they junction with the origional 2-wire.
anyway, since there are also junctions in the attic for the newer circuits, couldn't i just run a ground between them somehow?
i should note that i rent, and my landlord is not going to do anything (there are much worse problems with the house than this)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-06, 08:46 AM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 1,623
The best thing to do would be to run new grounded cable from the j boxes in the attic to the electrical panel and eliminate the old two wire system completely.

I cannot reccomend just running a ground wire between the new and older systems.

I do not know your city or local codes, but it is most likelly Illegal for you to do any electrical work to your home.

I know it will put you in an uncomfortable spot, but you may need to make some waves with the land lord and get him to hire this done.
Old 11-12-06, 09:19 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
You can do niothing except bargain with the Landlord. In rental property you cannot legally do anything, and even if you could you shouldn't.
Old 11-12-06, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,113
Agreed Don't touch it.

Racraft:*In rental property you cannot legally do anything, *

Where can I get this in writeing? trying to convince my sister in law, Her LL (2-family) gave permission,but won't pay me so I'm not doing it.
(friction here)
Old 11-12-06, 10:37 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
ok then ill just have to put up with it.
whats the danger then? should i be using these non-grounded outlets to plug my stuff in? or - just run extension cords to the kitchen, which is grounded?
Old 11-12-06, 01:32 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
For most two prong appliances, there should be no problem. For something like a computer or HT system, consider paying an electrician to install a proper grounded outlet for it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes