Box extender exists?

Old 11-12-06, 09:10 AM
Box extender exists?

I am refinishing a garage. The previous electrical work (probably by a professional) is top quality instalation. The boxes very secure to studs...properly secure grounding, etc.

My question. I don't want to remove and rewire all the boxes, receptacles, switches, etc. to add a half inch of drywall. Is there such a thing as extenstions to put on an existing box and bring the receptacle and switches forward? Some added front to the metal box to add a half inch or so? I have enough 'extra' in the wires to do this.

If this isn't possible, any tips on removing wired boxes? The ones in the garage are well fastened and I tried to remove one and destroyed it in the process. What tool is used to remove the nail? My studs have hardened over the years and it's a struggle.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-06, 09:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes there are several types,These are available At HD or LS'
Remember, the box can be, NO More than 1/4" behind the face of the finish. So you may not need them.

There should be pleanty of wire to do this.
Disconnect the power before removing the rec/sw.,You may not even need to disconnect the wires, Slip the extension over the device.You will however need some longer screws (6x32) for the devices, (8x32) for the junctions :4'squares and rounds for Ex.

Last edited by lectriclee; 11-12-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-12-06, 09:57 AM
nap
since these are metal boxes, if they happen to be of the 4" square variety and there is no wall covering now, you can use plaster rings with either a 1 or 2 gang opening.

this should be a link to a single gang 5/8" plaster (or mud if you prefer) ring.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/raco_datasheet.asp?PN=8768&FAM=RacoBoxes&P=325,1076,1594,116

Old 11-12-06, 10:19 AM
thanks! you've saved me a LOT of work. I don't mind doing electrical work but I do it at a tortoise pace to make sure I get it right. Your advice is much appreciated.

My father, a carpenter, used to advise that if you mess with plumbing and get it wrong, there is a lot of cussing. If you mess with electrical and get it wrong, you might not still be around to do the cussing.