How far from pipes to place junction box?

Old 11-12-06, 12:24 PM
How far from pipes to place junction box?

I won't go into the sordid history of my house to explain why this was BUT

In going to replace the light fixture over the vanity, I found wires with NO junction box. The hole is nicely centered in the vanity area, meaning it is right by the supply pipes for the sink! How far from plumbing does a junction box need to be? Apparently the original lighting fixtures were ceiling mounted, and the current one is wall mounted, which is the type of new fixture I bought.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-06, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just don't let them touch the pipes. And its' all good.

Old 11-12-06, 06:23 PM
There is no restriction. You can have properly installed romex and boxes practically in contact with pipes and it's OK. (I hesitate to say they can actually be in contact, but I'm not aware of any code prohibiting it.) Sounds like your wiring here isn't properly installed, but if you can fit a box in there, you're alright.

Old 11-12-06, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
The pros will have to say yes or no on if it would meet code but if the base of the light is large enough you might consider a surface mounted "pancake box". Usually the base of a wall fixture will completely cover (fit over) a 3" pancake box.

Old 11-12-06, 10:06 PM
nap
there doesn't neccessarily need to be a junction box for the fixture. If there is legal room to make terminations and the fixture is designed to have a termination directly into the fixture, you don;t need a box.

If the fixture has a knockout on the back that would facilitate the use of a romex connector, you are probably safe assuming you don;t need a box.

If it has an open back, you need a box.