3 light bulb to their own switches

Old 11-13-06, 02:42 AM
3 light bulb to their own switches

Hi,
I have been reading the forums for a while now and love it.

In my basement I have a total of 3 lights that are connected to
one switch. Now imagine 3 boxes and each box have one light in it. I want to separate the lights to their individual light switch. So this means that I am building 2 room and an open area for playing poker or what ever. The other 2 room are for bedrooms. I still want to use the same switch for the "poker area".
The first light bulb is connected right from the main fuse box, then it travels to the 2nd light bulb. After that it goes into a conjuction box and gets split into 2 sets of wire. One goes to the switch and the other goes to the 3rd light bulb. It ends at the 3rd light bulb, but the wires to the switch gets another set of wires to the top of the stairs light bulb ( 4th bulb ) with another switch of its own. The switch on the bottom have two switches, 1 to turn on and off the 3 lights on the bottom and the other one turns on and off the top stairs light bulb (4th bulb)
So my question is how do I seperate the lights to their own switches? with keeping the poker area light bulb to the same switch old switch.
If there's more information needed I will glady go over it again.
I hope this makes sense.
Thank You
Moltin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 04:39 AM
Not that difficult to do, if you have access to run wires from the lights and switch box. Each light needs a switch loop, white from hot feed, to switch, blk from switch to blk of light fixture. Disconnect each blk of the lght, and connect it to the switch loop. And i would recommend one of those how-to books on electrical available at big box. The Black&Decker book is good. But for more indepth, get "Electrical Wiring Residential", by Mullin

Old 11-13-06, 06:11 AM
You might as well make a new circuit for the two lights in the bedrooms. They need to be AFCI anyway along with all the other outlets in the bedroom.
Run a new line from the panel box to the light outside the bedrooms and use the existing line for the new AFCI.

Old 11-13-06, 10:38 AM
every single plug?

So you are saying every plug needs to be AFCI?

Other than that, thanks for the help. Going to start it soon.

I will pick one of those book out before doing it.

Thanks for the fast response.

Moltin

Old 11-13-06, 12:47 PM
In a BEDROOM, every receptacle, light fixture and in many areas smoke detectors need to be on an AFCI. This is not a GFCI like you have in your bathroom.

Old 11-14-06, 03:09 AM
Smile Great.

Thanks again for the info.

Great help.

I will post back later once I have it complete.

Moltin