use of delay timer in transfer switch?

Old 11-13-06, 07:06 AM
use of delay timer in transfer switch?

I have an older Kohler auto transfer switch for my generator. It works fine but it is real hard on the generator because there is no built in delay. when street power cuts out it switches to emer. power as the generator is cranking, so no time is allowed for the unit to warm up before taking on a load. Also when power is restored it immediately shuts down the generator, not allowing anytime to run unloaded to help it cool down. Is there a delay timer I can buy to delay when the load is transferred? I can see there is some sort of relay which initiates the transfer when it receives full voltage from the generator. I figure that is where it could be wired in. I know a new transfer switch would do it but they are real expensive.
thks,

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by stevejags
I have an older Kohler auto transfer switch for my generator. It works fine but it is real hard on the generator because there is no built in delay. when street power cuts out it switches to emer. power as the generator is cranking, so no time is allowed for the unit to warm up before taking on a load. Also when power is restored it immediately shuts down the generator, not allowing anytime to run unloaded to help it cool down. Is there a delay timer I can buy to delay when the load is transferred? I can see there is some sort of relay which initiates the transfer when it receives full voltage from the generator. I figure that is where it could be wired in. I know a new transfer switch would do it but they are real expensive.
thks,
Yes. There are time delay relays that will delay on loss of power and delay when power is restored. They are adjustable. You may want to delay the transfer for 10 seconds the be sure the power is not restored. Then delay 10 seconds when the power is restored.

Old 11-13-06, 08:55 AM
can you give me a brand name or type which would work here? I assume the timer itself would need a separate power lead?

Old 11-13-06, 02:18 PM
can you give me a brand name or type which would work here? I assume the timer itself would need a separate power lead?
Check here. http://ssac.com/standard/ff-tdr1.htm

You do not need a seperate power lead. I assume you have a
12 volt battery that powers the starting contactor and transfer switch. You would need to have one of the normal open contacts in series with the 12 volt coil that closes the transfer switch. When the power goes off the gen will start but the transfer switch will not close because the NO contact has not closed yet. After a time delay the NO contact closes and energizes the transfer switch. You do something similar when the power returns.

Old 11-13-06, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you referring to the generator itself or the gas engine. If the engine is your concern, I wouldn't worry about it. Kohler's power many a lawn mower or lawn tractor, including mine. I don't recall anything about cooling them down. I run flat out on an acre and a half, whip into the garage and shut it off. No problems have developed nor do I expect any for this practice.

Old 11-13-06, 08:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Back to post #4.

Your looking for a "LOAD" delay, Not an engine delay.

Old 11-14-06, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Back to post #4.

Your looking for a "LOAD" delay, Not an engine delay.
Thats what this is. It delays the transfer of load to the generator. What did you think it did?

Old 11-14-06, 09:40 AM
its an older 4 cylinder wisconsin engine. Yes, I am looking to delay the load to at least until the oil pressure gets up. I see where the coil is that engages the emergency power side. That seems simple then. What about on shutoff? Where can I put the delay when the street power comes back?

Old 11-14-06, 04:34 PM
its an older 4 cylinder wisconsin engine. Yes, I am looking to delay the load to at least until the oil pressure gets up. I see where the coil is that engages the emergency power side. That seems simple then. What about on shutoff? Where can I put the delay when the street power comes back?
When the utility power is restored, what causes the generator
to shut down?

Old 11-15-06, 04:51 AM
thats what I need to figure out. Maybe when power comes back on I think it trips a relay? which shuts the engine and transfers back power to the street. Somehow I need to figure out how that happens. I have schematics but I cannot read them.

Old 11-15-06, 09:48 AM
thats what I need to figure out. Maybe when power comes back on I think it trips a relay? which shuts the engine and transfers back power to the street. Somehow I need to figure out how that happens. I have schematics but I cannot read them.
Check and see if the is a device in the transfer sw that can be adjusted to delay the transfer.

Old 11-15-06, 11:22 AM
I ordered the operating manual so hopefully there is. thks

Old 11-15-06, 12:48 PM
thks,
Are you sure the transfer switch doesnt already have the functions you are requesting, maybe they just arent working right. An automatci switch that transfers without the engine being up to speed sounds FUBAR to me. Same for the shutdown.

Old 11-15-06, 02:06 PM
It is from 1979.