replacing wall switches

Old 11-13-06, 09:53 AM
replacing wall switches

I've just replaced most of the wall switches in my 1965-built house. The ground wire for the original wiring was connected to the metal switch box with a clip; the origininal switches themselves had no ground screw. When I put in the new switches, I did not connect the ground wire to the ground screw on the new switch; I just left it attached to the box . Now I'm having second thoughts. Do I need to go back and re-do all the switches and connect the ground wire to the ground screw on the new switches as well as connecting it to the box. The original wiring of the ground was neat and tidy and I'm reluctant to fool with it unless I have to.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 10:08 AM
It it were me, I'd put a pigtail from the ground wire to both the box and the switch. I don't think you really need it as the switch is connected to the grounded box via screws. However, I think that's code for outlets, and I would assume switched.

Old 11-13-06, 10:09 AM
Yes, you need to do this. There are several ways, but regardless of which way you choose the switches need to be grounded.

Old 11-13-06, 10:25 AM
Thanks very much for your responses. I guess I also thought that the screws connecting the switch to the box would be enough, so long as the box was grounded, but it sounds like I'd better go back and re-do. Is there particular ground wire that I need for these 15 AMP switches-- solid,braided? 12, 14 gauge?

Old 11-13-06, 10:41 AM
Certain types of switches are "self grounded" meaning that they are properly grounded when screwed in. Unless the switch states "self grounding" it is not.

You can buy ground wires at the stores that come with a screw . The screw screws into the threaded hole in the back of the metal box, and the wire connects to the ground screw on the switch.

Old 11-13-06, 10:59 AM
Got it. Thanks very much!